Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frankenstein Swaps in the Long races?

Evan,
    Looks like the comp board added the NASA and BMW cars to the original rules. Maybe I should have a few of the Porsche folks call Ed and as to be added - they have such pretty cars
    Chuck

Hey Chuck, I think thats a great idea, or else just go to the NASA website and decide which class their car fits is best of the NASA classes already in ITE. Essentially any car you can think of from something you built from scratch or a Porsche 917 or 935, with any kind of (gasoline at least) engine powering any kind of chassis, etc. can run in NASA ST or SU.
    Washington DC Region
    Scuderia Tortuga
    MARRS ITC Scirocco #12

Quote Originally Posted by evanwebb View Post
    ...any kind of (gasoline at least) engine powering any kind of chassis, etc. can run in NASA ST or SU.
    But, SU is not on the list for ITE.

Quote Originally Posted by GKR_17 View Post
    But, SU is not on the list for ITE.
    I think this would be arguable since SU is really just a class within the ST category, and is in the same set of rules published by NASA. In any case, the only difference is the adjusted weight/HP ratio, ST1 is for cars > 8.7 and SU is for cars < 8.7
    Washington DC Region
    Scuderia Tortuga
    MARRS ITC Scirocco #12

As one of those responsible for the modification to the ITE rules for 2009 specifically to allow cars from additional series, I can tell you with all certainty that SU was specifically excluded from the listing and would not be legal to run in ITE. Although NASA includes both categories in the same PDF file, it is very clear that their is a distinct difference in rulesets between ST-* and SU) and this was taken into account when deciding which classes to consider.

It should also be noted that although ST-* has an allowance for non-DOT tires, they are not legal for DC Region ITE.

And as for your comparison between ST-* and SU, I think you might be fudging a bit on what SU is:
    Super Unlimited (SU) is an unrestricted class for any closed wheel/fendered vehicle that complies with the safety requirements in the NASA CCR.
    Period.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the 2011 version of the rules (which will be out in January) will probably specifically list just ST-1 and ST-2 (but not STR-1 and STR-2).
    Last edited by Gregg; 11-23-2010 at 08:37 PM.
    Gregg Ginsberg
    '96 Civic EX -- MARRS ITA #72
    WDCR-SCCA Rookie of the Year 2003
    MARRS ITA/T3 Drivers rep

Thanks Gregg, I think the rules could be a bit more clear then. But, as far as the philosophy is concerned, I'm not sure why you would want to restrict ITE unless you are intending that the tubeframe cars & non-DOT tires would fit in SPO, which would seem to make sense...
    Washington DC Region
    Scuderia Tortuga
    MARRS ITC Scirocco #12

Quote Originally Posted by evanwebb View Post
    Thanks Gregg, I think the rules could be a bit more clear then. But, as far as the philosophy is concerned, I'm not sure why you would want to restrict ITE unless you are intending that the tubeframe cars & non-DOT tires would fit in SPO, which would seem to make sense...
    Correct you are.
    Gregg Ginsberg
    '96 Civic EX -- MARRS ITA #72
    WDCR-SCCA Rookie of the Year 2003
    MARRS ITA/T3 Drivers rep