Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Left-foot braking

Great Video--once again a rally car, however.

It would be neat to ask Walter Rorhl whether he LFB'd the Trans AM Audis he raced here in the States.

Probably one of the greatest driver's ever and I had the privilege to watch him (win) at the Niagara Falls Grand Prix.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven McWilliams Jr View Post
    One thing I saw a driver do on Youtube. Right foot brake while downshifting, move his LF over and continue braking with his LF then get on the gas with his RF. This technique has the same characteristics as LFB (more control, turn the car better, on the gas sooner) but he can still downshift. I'll probably start trying this technique this year.

Steven
    trying to find the video
    Yup. I do that in several places (e.g., top of Rollercoaster @ VIR, as above). It's subtle but I like having both pedals doing something. The worst situation is when the car gets static in a corner, where the car's attitude is such that neither the brake nor throttle do much to change the balance.

K

Quote Originally Posted by joeg View Post

It would be neat to ask Walter Rorhl whether he LFB'd the Trans AM Audis he raced here in the States.

Probably one of the greatest driver's ever and I had the privilege to watch him (win) at the Niagara Falls Grand Prix.
    Hans Stuck said that this was key to getting the TA Audis to work. They had to keep the turbo boiling to get out of the corners fast. There is a pretty long video out there somewhere that talks about that program and includes comentary for Hans and maybe the Rohrl Wind himself...
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

Quote Originally Posted by joeg View Post

That was some really fancy footwork in that video. If I didn't know Rorhl was driving a racing car, I would've thought he was dancing... Or had to go use the rest room in the worst way...
    Chris
    #91 ITR Mustang
    1st place-2008 Great Lakes Division Championship Series
    1st place-2009 Kryderacing Series

Wow, that vid drives me absolulely bonkers. Anyone else think it's totally insane to line the track with people? The race organizers should be in jail.
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

Euro rally Spectators are pretty nuts; but they are a bit better policed these days.

In Portugal in '86, I beleive, a bunch were killed by a Ford RS 200 and that was the end of those fire-breathing Group B Rally Cars.