Thread: Quick Question on STU

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Quick Question on STU

I just want to understand the direction that STU has taken in the last couple of years. My Cougar is a legal 2009 World Challenge Touring Class car, that has had no changes made to it. It meets all of the weight and build rules for that time. Is it still legal for STU?

I read all the discussions on pick up points and control arms and seam welding for STL, I was just wondering about the present and future direction for STU? My car has a completely fabbed suspension, built motor (to WC requirements) and seam welded and cage stiched shell.

If I wanted to come down and play with you guys at Mid Ohio or Watkins Glen, would the car be legal and for how long?

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by 23racer View Post
    It meets all of the weight and build rules for [20090 world Challenge]. Is it still legal for STU?
    Theoretically, yes. The goal for STU is to allow legal World Challenge Touring cars to compete.

However, the verbiage that points to 2009 PRR and VTS is being removed for 2011. The new STU rules are intended to be inclusive of the PRR/VTS, but practically speaking I'm aware of some instances where there are rules conflicts between VTS allowances and the 2011 STU rules.

I recommend you review the STU in total, comparing the allowances in there to what you've done to your Cougar. If there are things that are allowed in the 2009 PRR/VTS but not allowed in 2011 STU rules, then you should bring those to the attention of the CRB via http://www.crbscca.com/. It's my guess they will make vehicle-specific allowances to welcome your car into STU (just a guess; I'm in no position of power...)

I suggest 2011 will be a transition year, and IMO you should have no concerns about competing in STU in 2011 in a 2009 PRR/VTS-legal car. I'm confident the ST Advisory Committee will iron out these wrinkles soon enough.

GA

Thanks Greg. The car was accepted as legal by SCCA Pro as recently as 2009 using its last VTS from 2003. No changes to the car have taken place in years other than to return the car to race condition. I geuss if I want to play in STU, I will need to follow up with the CRB.
    Attached Images Attached Images

If the car was built to 2003 WCT rules, it's probably legal as-is to the 2011 STU rules. Read the rules and see:

http://www.scca.com/documents/Fastra...strack-aug.pdf

If you have any questions after reading that, feel free to ask...

Don't expect the CRB to give you a blanket "approved per 2009 PRR"; they won't do that. You'll need to review the rules first, look for discrepancies, and if you find any then contact the CRB for a variance approval.

GA

What Greg said. I'm no authority either, but since STU was designed as a class for a place specifically for WC Touring cars to play, then I see no reason why they wouldn't allow the car with a proper VTS and/or meeting the current STU rules.

Based on the rules, is there anything on the list you've done to the car that is/was legal for WC but not for STU?

that said, the VTS for my 240SX specs a car with MUCH fewer mods than what STU allows. 7" wide wheels, panhard bar (on an independent rear suspension), 11.5:1 compression, stock transmission, etc etc etc. Then again that VTS is from 2000 season and the world is much different since then.

anyway, it's worth taking a look at the current rules to see if the car is legal as-is with the STU ruleset. If so, then no worries. If not, then a line-item specific allowance based on the Cougar's VTS should be allowed.
    Last edited by Matt93SE; 11-11-2010 at 12:41 PM.

After a quick look through the only things that leapt out at me are the ;

1) In Car adjustable sway bar - I have one that will need to be moved to meet the rules.
    2) Front splitter - Mine has a 3" upper surface. I will need to trim it back.
    3) Rear wing rule - unless I am reading this wrong, it needs to be no lower than 6" below the roof line. What is the maximum height?
    4) Compression ratios - 12.0:1 ????? a bunch of WC legal cars are well above that. My VTS allows 12.8:1
    5) Wheel Widths - My VTS allows for 8" wheels, I guess that means I need to ask.

Everything else I am in compliance with, so with a bit of work and changes (as long as its not permanent) I am in compliance.

Thanks for the information. It gives me a lot to think about.

Eric

3) Rear wing rule - unless I am reading this wrong, it needs to be no lower than 6" below the roof line. What is the maximum height?
    Rule states "minimum of 6.0 inches below the peak of the roof." that means it has to be 6" or more below the roof line.

4) Compression ratios - 12.0:1 ????? a bunch of WC legal cars are well above that. My VTS allows 12.8:1
    I think they're aware of that; the 2010 champ was allowed 12.5:1...

Correct on the other items; I'd recommend changing them and/or requesting variances. Supplying your original VTS sheets with that request is a plus.

GA

I just want to understand the direction that STU has taken in the last couple of years. My Cougar is a legal 2009 World Challenge Touring Class car, that has had no changes made to it. It meets all of the weight and build rules for that time. Is it still legal for STU?

I read all the discussions on pick up points and control arms and seam welding for STL, I was just wondering about the present and future direction for STU? My car has a completely fabbed suspension, built motor (to WC requirements) and seam welded and cage stiched shell.

If I wanted to come down and play with you guys at Mid Ohio or Watkins Glen, would the car be legal and for how long?

Eric
    Please send your VTS sheet to us @ www.crbscca.com . We'll work on getting it added, your car shouldn't be an issue for STU. Also feel free to email me at [email protected].
    Chris "The Cat Killer" Childs
    Angry Sheep Motorsports
    810 417 7777
    angrysheepmotorsports.com

IT,SM,SS,Touring, and Super Touring