Thread: Concrete Pad

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Concrete Pad

Anyone pour a concrete pad for an RV/tow vehicle? I have a dirt driveway and a new car and don't want to rust out the bottom like I have my other vehicles.

Is it a DIY or bring in a pro?
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Who cares about the pad... What did you buy?
    Jeremy Billiel

Quote Originally Posted by JLawton View Post
    Anyone pour a concrete pad for an RV/tow vehicle? I have a dirt driveway and a new car and don't want to rust out the bottom like I have my other vehicles.

Is it a DIY or bring in a pro?
    If I were you I would dig out an area about 4 to 6" deep and put in #2 gravel to allow for good drainage. Do the pad if you're planning to use it to work on the vehicle. If you are going to pour concrete make sure there is some slope for runoff. It's the same as in a garage. Don't forget to use 3000# concrete mix, wire and at least 4 to 6" thick depending on the weight of the vehicles.

What Dan said.... I met someone that does pads, bridges, and buildings. His company is recycling chain link fences as the "wire" with great success. He seemed very knowledgeable and had great success, I found it very interesting.

Stephen

PS: on a side note... I would never attempt it!

You'll need a dozer to go down about a foot, and a place for the dirt you remove. Then you'll need a dump truck of gravel, and you'll need some wood for forms. Then a concrete truck with the concrete, and some rebar, of course. Get some floats to smooth it, and some big boots too, and don't wear anything decent.......

And good luck pouring the whole thing without labor to float it.

So, yeah, not exactly DIY for a pad that big, and it's not 'easy' work either.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

And a concrete vibrator to settle it in and avoid airholes.

DZ

Jeff, one of these days soon (waving!) Jake is contracting to do improvements to my garage, part of which is concrete work. So why not contact him about doing the same for you?

I paid someone several years ago to dig up the area next to my driveway and put in gravel, that area where I park the truck/trailer. I thought about concrete but the estimates I got were PRICEY. I think gravel is almost as good; it drains well but I'm sure it's not as dry as if I had concrete. It's starting to subside so I should look into getting a new top layer thrown down...

GA

Quote Originally Posted by StephenB View Post
    I met someone that does pads, bridges, and buildings. His company is recycling chain link fences as the "wire" with great success. He seemed very knowledgeable and had great success, I found it very interesting.

Stephen

PS: on a side note... I would never attempt it!
    Stephen, please tell me the guy you met is not working in Pennsylvania, or is he?

;~)

No it's actually a quite large company in new hampshire. It is a company that promotes recycling and I think it's more for patio, not anything to do with road construction. I don't know anything about concrete work so I was just passing along something I found interesting Since it does involve recycling.

Stephen

Is everyone ignoring Jeff's choice of words in the title?
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"