Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "David vs. Goliath" - CRX vs 1.8 Miata story from ARRC

Gulick?
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Don't quite understand Ben's question but no, my car didn't make it. We had 2 guys back out of the trip and it didn't make sense for Nick to take just 2 down.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    Honestly I don't know if it was ever withdrawn by Rowdy. I'll check. If they simply ruled against for lack of evidence there is definitely still time to appeal. You have 10 days to submit (GCR 8.4.3.A.3).
    Gregg,

just curious as to why? is the scenario that he wins the appeal regarding the ruling of the wiper motor headlight actuator CAI routing (not sure which part if any was the actual ruling) and then win this appeal as well?

i don't see the yellow in Joe's video (i just have a laptop and unless a flag is waving, i have a hard time picking them up in these vids) but for the purpose of this discussion, i will stipulate it is there because Joe does seem to lift around the corner. but i am unclear on where the flag station was.

but it looks like the car being overtaken on Driver's left is signaling Joe to pass and is seriously off pace (the lapped cars in this race for the most part were really trying to get out of the way and not interfere with the race for the lead). no excuse if there is a flag but i really do not see this affecting the outcome of the race since i think Price went off track 1 or 2 times after regaining the lead.

if the appeal on the CAI / wiper / headlight is lost and this one for the yellow is won, that would seem a bit like sour grapes imo.
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

That ITA guy who needs to go win the ARRC is.......AB!

I'll go if you go - not enough Yankee representation down there in Dixieland :-)
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

Quote Originally Posted by benspeed View Post
    I wish I saw some Flatout racer in the ITA event. Who would that dude be???
    Was he driving a Koenigsegg?

Quote Originally Posted by tom91ita View Post
    if the appeal on the CAI / wiper / headlight is lost and this one for the yellow is won, that would seem a bit like sour grapes imo.
    I hear you, Tom, but the standing yellow was out at the flag stand right before the bridge and was out. Just because an ITC car that's not front-running is at a much slower pace than the race-leading ITA car does not mean that a P.U.Y. is acceptable. As soon as Brian got out of the car he told us about the P.U.Y. and we started looking for witnesses/video, to no avail. We knew that one car that might have it wasn't going to offer up a loss in position or DQ.

As to whether its sour grapes or not, the only reason that protest was filed was because the corner station did not call it in. In my short racing career I have seen some very stupid things happen out on track when drivers ignore flags. Most of them put volunteers in harms way. You know as well as I do that quiz drivers at schools about flags for a reason and corer stations wave flags for a reason. And even with that, given the width of the track, given the fact that it was a straight, and given that the "incident" was a car off-track on driver's right does not eliminate the fact that the CRX also gained a competitive advantage but not correctly timing his pass on the ITC car, but instead kept up his race pace. What happened in the tech shed afterwards should be immaterial.

Just like cars/drivers can lose in the tech shed if they run astray of the rules, one can and perhaps should if they run afoul while on the race surface.

That's my point. Perhaps Mr. Laughlin would have been more vigilant if he had known. ;-)
    Gregg Ginsberg
    '96 Civic EX -- MARRS ITA #72
    WDCR-SCCA Rookie of the Year 2003
    MARRS ITA/T3 Drivers rep

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    That's my point. Perhaps Mr. Laughlin would have been more vigilant if he had known. ;-)
    I doubt it. I wouldn't want to win like that if I was out of touch with the leaders. These two ran away from everyone. A mechanical protest is one thing - but a PUY penalty that had zero affect on my position in class is another.

Not downplaying your fundamental stance on the issue, just commenting on whether or not a 3rd place driver who wasn't even in the same timezone as the top 2, would want to take a win like that.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

This is a little late, better late than never. I would have been more persistant about the issue if I would have had more evidence(video, witnesses). I understand winning in the tech shed isn't exactly the way to go, however, if someone brakes the rules, non compliant, or being hazardous to other people. I don't stand for that. Cutting to the chase, sometimes you have to take it anyway you can get it. with in reason

Looking forward to seeing everyone again at the ARRC in 2011

Brian