After talking with Chris briefly about STL at the ARRC, I got to thinking about how to reconcile the first principle of weight based on engine displacement with the desire to allow lots of different manufacturers' cars to be competitive.

(I bring this up because the two are mutually exclusive and lead to the rocky road of "case-by-case" allowances that are invariably going to stink things up.)

How about a formula - yes, I used the F-word - that tweaks the pounds/cc math based on the stock displacement-specific HP?

With the age cut-off, it's not necessary to accommodate all of the generations of induction technology that IT has to suffer through, so the playing field that has to be leveled is smaller. Use the Hondas - I *think* generally accepted to be the best of the bunch in this regard - as the baseline, and grant allowances based on the quotient of each option's specific HP to the that.

Of course, this moves from the position that competition adjustments (bleah!) are bad. If the founding fathers of STL embrace adjustments based on on-track performance, they need to be explicit that this is the case.

K