Thread: GSL-SE parts onto 12A ITA car?

Default GSL-SE parts onto 12A ITA car?

Newbie needs some help, please. I've got a 1985 12A RX-7 running SCCA ITA. I believe it was originally a Pro7 car out of California (tokico illuminas, front coilovers, six-point welded cage, stock motor and carb, 4.77 LSD)

I've got the chance to strip a 1985 GSL-SE street car, roller (no engine or tranny). It's been stored outside for a couple of years and about to get junked.

What parts can I take from the GSL-SE and put onto my 12A race car and still be legal?
    Can I run the GSL-SE bigger brakes and bolt pattern?
    Should I grab the rear axle/differential?

I will probably grab fenders and doors for spares.
    Anything else?

Thank you for the help.

The only parts you can legally use are the any identical to those found on a car listed on your ITCS "spec line." If it came on a year/model listed in ITA, go for it. Anything different is a no-go.

K

...BUT take all the other parts because the GSL-SE was a rare bird and someone will want to buy them from you.

And when you're done, find a place to store the chassis, because yours is a race car and they ain't making any more of those first-gens...just sayin'...

Thanks for the helpful info!
    Knestis - sounds like I can't use GSL-SE brake setup on the 12A ITA car, right?

I'm about to put a 1984 GS (12A) street car back onto the road as a non-snow daily driver.
    Is it worth putting anything from the GSL-SE onto that car?
    Maybe the brakes/rotors/hub setups?
    Rear axle?
    (That'd give me the stock GS hubs/rotors as spares, and the LSD from the GSL-SE into the street car.)
    Is it a bolt-up?
    Other ideas that are low on cost, high on reward, medium on effort?
    Would anyone like that GSL-SE shell for free? (Must pickup very soon, in Colorado)

Quote Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
    Thanks for the helpful info!
    Knestis - sounds like I can't use GSL-SE brake setup on the 12A ITA car, right?

I'm about to put a 1984 GS (12A) street car back onto the road as a non-snow daily driver.
    Is it worth putting anything from the GSL-SE onto that car?
    Maybe the brakes/rotors/hub setups?
    Rear axle?
    (That'd give me the stock GS hubs/rotors as spares, and the LSD from the GSL-SE into the street car.)
    Is it a bolt-up?
    Other ideas that are low on cost, high on reward, medium on effort?
    Would anyone like that GSL-SE shell for free? (Must pickup very soon, in Colorado)
    So yes, no big brakes on the 12A. The GSL-SE is an ITS car - or even if it were an ITA car (which it should be) it would be on a different spec line.

If it were me, I would create teh 13B 'frankenstein car' for the street and keep the other 12A and stock bits for when you need them...and you will...
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Thanks for the input. Andy, I like your idea.
    What I'd install on the street GS would be the rear axle from the GSL-SE and the front parts that would allow me to run the bigger brakes and bolt pattern, right?
    Are the parts more than:
    Front - whole front strut and hub/rotor assembly to the GS control arm and tension bar?
    Rear - whole rear axle bolting up to the GS control arms and struts?
    Seems pretty straightforward - am I missing anything?

If I did install the bigger brakes on the ITA car, what class do I end up in?
    ITE?
    Totally illegal?
    ST something?
    If I don't care about the class, can I put the GSL-SE stub axles and all that onto the IT parts (which are already coilovers)?