I have been lobbying for the following two rules changes for STL.

- Allow alternate control arms.

I am on record as being vehemently opposed to moving suspension pickup points or making mods to the struts/knuckles/what-have-you where arms attach, but I would like the opportunity in STL to be able to change the control arms and links. As long as the attaching points are unmoved and unmodified, then that link can go all the way to China and back and the suspension geometry has not changed one whit. And, in some cases, allowing those alternate arms allows cars to be able to make basic alignment adjustments (my Integra, for example, which has no adjustable camber or caster -- well, unless you start bending things to get there...)

I propose editing 9.1.4.N.8 to read as follows:

"Alternate control arms permitted. No modifications allowed in STL to attaching parts or pickup locations."

I'd like to hear of any horror story ideas where this may get abused, so that the rule proposal can be well-written.

- Allow alternate brakes.

With all the stuff currently allowed in STL, it seems odd that your basic brake package consists of nothing more than pretty much what Improved Touring has. This is especially so, given the tons of aftermarket bolt-on stuff out there. I want alternate brakes in STL. I want them not only because of improved performance, but also of decreased component wear (pads) and better modulation. Adding fuel to that fire, OEM ABS brakes are allowed in STL, giving a bit of a disadvantage to older or less-technological vehicles.

I propose alternate brakes for STL, but only to those cars that choose to forego factory ABS. I would limit the performance potential of those aftermarket brakes by rotor size, and then ultimately by how much rubber they can get to the road. To whit:

Change 9.1.4.O.12 to read:

Competitors may choose from one of the following front brake systems:
A. Stock OEM braking system:
1. Unmodified Antilock Braking System (ABS) is allowed.

B. Aftermarket braking system:
1. Four-piston (maximum) calipers of any origin and design.
2. Ferrous metal rotor of any origin and design, maximum rotor diameter and thickness per individual class specs.
3. Alternate components must mount onto unmodified suspension and steering components and fit within allowable wheels
4. Cars using this alternate braking system must have the antilock braking system (ABS) disabled as specified in GCR.

And change 9.1.4.3.E.1 (STL specs):

"Maximum rotor size 300mm (11.81") diameter and 32mm (1.26") thickness."

STO already has a max rotor size of 355x33, or 380mm with a 100# penalty; STU already has a maximum rotor size 328x32. Both already allow ABS using factory components.

- Remove the allowance for seam-welding in STL.

'Nuff said. I don't see that as within my perceived philosophy of the class. I haven't turned that one in yet, but I will, and I think we need to get that genie back in the bottle before we let it out. If someone wants to seam-weld, well then STU beckons...

GA