Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Philosophy of Super Touring...

re: brakes - what's wrong with a blanket allowance of rotor up to X diameter and calipers with N pistons max, up to D maximum diameter, or stock? just like in STU, but reign the numbers in.

Shoot for numbers that cover the common "hot rod" brake parts like 'teg Type R or corrado rotors, supra/300zx/2nd gen RX7 calipers. this doesn't have to be expensive, and it keeps the field more level and safe without favoritism, real or assumed. remember it will be realistic to see both a 1900# FWD/strut 1.5L with ~165hp and a 2665# 2.0L RWD car making 220+hp - one will likely have kart brakes while the other might be alright as is. write the allowances correctly NOW.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    So what truly is the philosophy of Super Touring? Without a clear core philosophy against which to judge changes, it is impossible to be consistent. The following is written in the "Purpose" section of the newly-proposed category rules:

So, any work done on this since Greg's post?

"Philosophy of Super Touring"

It seems to me that the scope of where this class is headed needs to be hammered out way before the specific details are discussed.

I hope the STAC proceeds slowly. Quickly putting together a rule set may only restrict participation.

Wholesale changes to STU may not be what's needed to continue it's growth.

JW
    #88 STU Exedy Acura Integra Type-R
    #04 STU DBA Acura RSX (2010 ARRC STU Champion)

HRE Wheels - Exedy - Hooiser - Carbotech - DBA - Hondaworks- Motovicity

any thoughts on what to do with GTS cars? I know the Acuras in STU at the ARRC would be competitive GTS cars.

Rob Bodle
    Rob Bodle Images, LLC
    RBI Competition

2007 ARRC Three hour "not a real" Enduro ITO Co-Champion.
    2009 ARRC ITO Champion.
    2009 ARRC Enduro Pole Winner
    2010 ARRC ITO Champion(car owner for Cliff Brown)
    2011 ARRC ITO Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrar05 View Post
    any thoughts on what to do with GTS cars? I know the Acuras in STU at the ARRC would be competitive GTS cars.

Kevin Helms and I are those guys.

The RSX that won the ARRC was built to the 08-09 TC rule book. We planned on racing RTR, Bimmerworld and Tri-Point, but 2 of the 3 chickened out and moved on before we got there. j/k

World Challenge allows "old" touring cars to race in GTS but it's becoming a very difficult class to stay competitive. The norm in 2011 will be loads of V8 Mustangs, Porsches, Vettes and the RTR TSX's. The rumor mill also has a number of Turbo cars being introduced in GTS, too.

I think you will see fewer and fewer cars like ours entered in GTS.

FWIW- We did finish 3rd in GTS this year at VIR (7 cars entered) and was promoted to 2nd due to a disq'ed Porsche- but we were many seconds off RTR and the Porsche.
    #88 STU Exedy Acura Integra Type-R
    #04 STU DBA Acura RSX (2010 ARRC STU Champion)

HRE Wheels - Exedy - Hooiser - Carbotech - DBA - Hondaworks- Motovicity