Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sources for STU sized Wing??

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    Are you guys trying to fly?
    I already have
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

I am informed by email that the rule for 2011 is going to be 8.5", so on the presumption that info is correct my previous statement about being ready to make wings stands. The molds for an 8.5" constant-profile, single-plane wing are complete and waiting. $795 plus shipping (and sales tax to Cali customers). Thx! Stan

Hello,

My name is Brooks Friedeman and I am the owner of Brooks Motorsport Composites LLC. I just wanted to introduce myself, as I was informed that I was mentioned in this thread and have been asked if I could supply any STU Wing.

I can certainly apply my popular profile to this wing size, or any other for that matter, as a huge amount of my work is custom. If ~4 or more people committed to it, I would custom design CAD files for uprights, cradles and endplates with would be laser cut out of T6 aluminum and black anodized (More than happy to not do uprights if people already have something). Along with the specified carbon wing, that package would cost ~$900. Of course, I can also do one-off work with handmade carbon parts for a bit more.

I also do splitters, canards, and various other parts out of carbon. Please let me know if I can help at all here. Thanks much.

Please email brooks at brooksmotorsport dot com. For better pictures and more information. Thanks much.

Just a heads-up for those of you thinking about an APR wing...
    I talked to Tony Nguyen at APR last week about the 8.75" dimension listed on their website. Actually I asked him for max chord length and total wing area to be armed with data when I submit a request for the GTC-200 to be allowed even though the spec'd dimensions exceed the new rule for chord length.

Tony went out to the shop and measured one of their wings, and it's right at 8.5" at the center. basically it depends on how you hold the tape measure whether it's over or under due to the curves on the leading and trailing edges of the wing. Honestly I don't think anyone would ever give you crap about it, but I know how anal some of the rule nazis can be......

Also, the GTC-200 is/was listed on SCCA Pro's allowed wings list for Touring class- which was spec'd at 8.5" x 48" just like ours is now. I haven't been able to find the list on pro racing's website, but it would be good ammo to have as well- showing that someone in SCCA agreed that it met the 8.5 x 48 regulation.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Matt93SE View Post
    Also, the GTC-200 is/was listed on SCCA Pro's allowed wings list for Touring class- which was spec'd at 8.5" x 48" just like ours is now. I haven't been able to find the list on pro racing's website...
    Save your paper; that request has already been submitted.

I have a copy of that Pro Racing document listing the APR GTC-200 as an explicitly approved wing for WC Touring as of November 2009 (right before they changed the rules to the new classes for 2010 <rolleyes>). Given that the 2010 PRR did not include the specs from the 2009 PRR, and the 2009 PRR was referenced for the 2010 GTS class, that change was never published elsewhere.

Regardless, a little birdie told me that STU/L will probably be keeping the 8.5" chord requirement, but with the APR GTC-200 wing specifically allowed due to its prior inclusion in WCT 2009 (as I understand it, all other wings from the 2009 PRR meet the 8.5x48 requirement, which is where that dimension came from).

That, of course, is nothing more than personal opinion, rumor, and innuendo, and - of course - is not actually official/approved until it appears in Fastrack.

Sit tight.

GA

P.S. For technical reference, a wing's "chord" is the straight-line measurement from the center of the radius of the leading edge to the center of the radius of the trailing edge. Ergo, it's not a distance that can always be accurately measured with a tape...
    Last edited by Greg Amy; 12-07-2010 at 09:40 PM.

Thanks, Greg. personal opinion, rumor, and innuendo aside, I think you're a pretty OK guy....

Based on the response from my letter back in August, I figured they were pretty dead-set on the 8.5" number and can see why.

As for the chord length measurement, you cornfused me with your explanation.. as I understood it, it was the total length, end to end. i.e. if you stuck a set of huge calipers over the ends of it, the total measurement would be the chord length. See attach drawing of simplified shape.. would the chord length be 6" or 4"?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Matt93SE View Post
    ... as I understood it, it was the total length, end to end. i.e. if you stuck a set of huge calipers over the ends of it, the total measurement would be the chord length. See attach drawing of simplified shape.. would the chord length be 6" or 4"?
    In your simple example, the wing chord would be 6", as that measurement is from the center of each radii.

However, consider the case of a cambered wing (sorry for the image from Wikipedia):

The wing chord is the straight-line distance from point 2 to point 7; you can see that this cannot be accurately measured with a caliper.

GA

On edit: this image is from this reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NACA_airfoil
    Last edited by Greg Amy; 12-08-2010 at 07:43 PM.

Makes more sense now.. although measuring end to end on a wing the size we're talking about would be within a few hundredths probably..

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    ... from the center of the radius of the leading edge to the center of the radius of the trailing edge....
    Thanks for the diagram. I think you mean the center of curvature, not center of radius. The center point of a radius is by definition not on the curvature.
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle7 View Post
    I think you mean the center of curvature, not center of radius.
    I do mean that, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle7 View Post
    Thanks for the diagram. I think you mean the center of curvature, not center of radius. The center point of a radius is by definition not on the curvature.
    That's what confused me. the center of the radius would be, well, the center.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Save your paper; that request has already been submitted.

I have a copy of that Pro Racing document listing the APR GTC-200 as an explicitly approved wing for WC Touring as of November 2009 (right before they changed the rules to the new classes for 2010 <rolleyes>). Given that the 2010 PRR did not include the specs from the 2009 PRR, and the 2009 PRR was referenced for the 2010 GTS class, that change was never published elsewhere.

Regardless, a little birdie told me that STU/L will probably be keeping the 8.5" chord requirement, but with the APR GTC-200 wing specifically allowed due to its prior inclusion in WCT 2009 (as I understand it, all other wings from the 2009 PRR meet the 8.5x48 requirement, which is where that dimension came from).

That, of course, is nothing more than personal opinion, rumor, and innuendo, and - of course - is not actually official/approved until it appears in Fastrack.

Sit tight.

GA

P.S. For technical reference, a wing's "chord" is the straight-line measurement from the center of the radius of the leading edge to the center of the radius of the trailing edge. Ergo, it's not a distance that can always be accurately measured with a tape...
    I searched and searched for a wing. I called APR to see if they could trim theirs. At that point they told me the website was wrong and that it was 8.5 and that they had submitted it to the SCCA and it's legal. So there it sits on the back of my car. On top of that it was one of the more reasonably priced wings. I was on the receiving end of some rather negative comments towards club racing by some of the "time Attack" wing suppliers out there. It was starting to get depressing hunting for a wing.
    Last edited by Mrsideways; 12-22-2010 at 09:06 PM.

Not sure where you're going with that, Mr. Sideways, but I just want to make sure you read the latest Fastrack? The APR GTC-200 has been explicitly approved for use in STU/STL, regardless of its size:

http://www.scca.org/documents/Fastra...k-jan-club.pdf

Greg, No where to go with that, just seemed the WING world doesn't seem to care about club racing.
    I'm excited that it's legal. I skimmed the fastrac but didn't catch that the wing had been outlined as legal. That's relaxing as I just walked out and measured the wing at 8.6ish inches with a tape measure.
    Whomever I talked to at APR mentioned they had received a lot of calls regarding this. At first it seemed like he was brushing off my legal concerns but I could imagine anyone's persona after receiving the same call over and over.

Edit... just spotted it. I didn't read far enough down.
    "SUPER TOURING
    1. #3276 (Phil Phillips) APR Wing - SCCA spec - chord width
    Add to end of sentence 9.1.4.D.2 STU and STL
    “APR performance wing GTC-200 part #AS-104801, variable cord length (8.75” Inner/6.75” Outer), is permitted.”
    Last edited by Mrsideways; 12-22-2010 at 09:15 PM.

Since this thread is about sources for wings... Seemed like an apropriate place to place this news:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1944088

Ugh, sorry to hear that...Eric Heinrich and I are running his rear wing... - GA

As am I: