Thread: Mirrors and front spoilers in STU and STL

Default Mirrors and front spoilers in STU and STL

I’ve been looking through the October edition of the GCR and the August Fastrack but I can’t seem to find a line anywhere that talks about mirrors. I’m wondering if I have to put the side mirrors back on my IT car to run STU and/or STL. Since there didn’t seem to be a line about removing mirrors, I figured I was going to have to put them back on -- but then it occurred to me: I can’t find a mention about mirrors anywhere for ST. There must be a line allowing mirrors inside the cabin, but I can’t find it. The only line I can find that may allow the removal of the side mirrors is the one that reads "Non-essential body items and trim may be removed". Do side mirrors fall under "non-essential"?

My next question is about front spoilers/splitters. I have a spoiler on the front of my IT Miata that looks similar to the factory one, but mine is a little more aggressive looking. From how I read the STU/L rules, the lip spoiler I have doesn’t seem to be legal in STU or STL because it’s not a splitter with only horizontal and vertical lines. Is this correct?
    EP 1990 Mazda RX-7 (used to be STU until the turbo cars scared me away, and STL rotary cars require too much ballast)
    ITS/T4 2004 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V

from memory, i think the rear spoiler for sedan (stu) is no wider than 48", 6" below the highest point of the roof, hatchback has a different spec, the front splitter is no more than 1.5" pass the furthest part of the bumper following the contour of the bumper, the mirrors i'm not sure about

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Chaos View Post
    . The only line I can find that may allow the removal of the side mirrors is the one that reads "Non-essential body items and trim may be removed". Do side mirrors fall under "non-essential"?
    Sounds correct to me.

. My next question is about front spoilers/splitters. I have a spoiler on the front of my IT Miata that looks similar to the factory one, but mine is a little more aggressive looking. From how I read the STU/L rules, the lip spoiler I have doesn’t seem to be legal in STU or STL because it’s not a splitter with only horizontal and vertical lines. Is this correct?
    It's legal as long as it doesn't exceed the dimensions in laid out in the rules.
    Chris "The Cat Killer" Childs
    Angry Sheep Motorsports
    810 417 7777
    angrysheepmotorsports.com

IT,SM,SS,Touring, and Super Touring

Thanks...here's another question: is the final drive ratio open in STL? I can find the line in STU saying ratios are open, but not STL.
    Last edited by Prof. Chaos; 10-28-2010 at 07:13 PM.
    EP 1990 Mazda RX-7 (used to be STU until the turbo cars scared me away, and STL rotary cars require too much ballast)

Philip,

Funny, I just read the article about your "G-Style front lip" and mirror removal 2 days ago. I was sold, ordered my spoiler and mirrors yesterday. Still looking into the diff.

Thanks!

Cool! I have to say, changing the final drive really woke the car up. I get a little nervous spinning 7,000+rpm in 5th gear with a stock motor, but heck, it works.

I get a little nervous spinning 7,000+rpm in 5th gear with a stock motor
    Then simply take your foot off the gas. It's okay, I don't mind.

Cool! I have to say, changing the final drive really woke the car up.
    Exactly what I'm looking for!

Like you, I hope these changes translate over to STL.