Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: surge tanks?

Chuck has it right. I use a "facet" (40106 Maybe) for the lift pump. One lift line to the LR, but floor, of the tank. If you use two pickup lines, you need two lift pumps. I get by with one and it gets "all" of the fuel.
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

Quote Originally Posted by dhardison View Post
    Will, I have the same issue and have tried tanks from each year EF, different pumps, etc. all with no luck. One thing I did want to try was running 3-4 of these Walbro fuel pickups I read about on the Sandbox. "Technically" they're 70 micron filters.

http://www.autoperformanceengineerin...l/pickups.html

The one thing I don't know is if they'll fit through the fuel pump access hole. If they do then you could remove the factory filter/sock from the bottom of the pump, tee off of that, then use a couple 'Y's to branch one to each side/corner of the tank (factory baffling might be a problem).

Feel free to buy one of these and let me know if they fit the fuel pump access hole.
    Dan, thanks. Those look pretty cool. I think I'll have to drop the tank and take a look at what's there now. Doing something to let us draw more than 6 or 7 gallons would be a monster help in enduros. End of day, though, in sort of basic terms, an accumulator arrangement with hp pump after may be the better choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyinglizard View Post
    Chuck has it right. I use a "facet" (40106 Maybe) for the lift pump. One lift line to the LR, but floor, of the tank. If you use two pickup lines, you need two lift pumps. I get by with one and it gets "all" of the fuel.
    As above, this may be the best of the cheaper options. I have to check with tech re where the pumps and accumulator can live. I may end up having limited choices with the hatch. A good spot for hp pump and small accumulator would be underhood where the stock fuel filter and evap canister is, but I guess heat could be an issue.

Will

Just in case I haven't flogged this horse sufficiently: is it legal to add a SECOND fuel pump? This would be to draw fuel from the large fuel filter I want to implement, and feed the "rail."

Will

Is there a reason other than cost not to put a ATL fuel cell and slosh tank pickup in it? That's what I run in my scirocco and with a Aeromotive 500 gallon per hour pump.
    #72 ITE Scirocco
    NARRC ITE champion 2011

Tom, is there ever a reason other than money to not get something that's more baller?

Will

baller....
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

Quote Originally Posted by webhound View Post
    Tom, is there ever a reason other than money to not get something that's more baller?

Will
    Except that after 20 years of doing crap like this I've learned a few things...like buy a good racing fuel cell with baffled pickup tank so my engine doesn't starve. Cell is 550 and the baffle tank is 150....but the performance and HUGE safety increase is worth the money.
    #72 ITE Scirocco
    NARRC ITE champion 2011

Or you can go the cheap route and just use a Jazz cell and make your own surge tank for minimal cost.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq
    I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up!

Tom, do you have a pic of your cell install?

The marginal trick with my install is that it's a Civic hatch, so to firewall it from the passenger compartment will require a bit more work than like in your sedan, Chuck. Also, won't I be better off from a safety standpoint with the tank where it is, under/outside the car's floor and within its wheelbase, than with it back at the spare tirewell?

Edit to add: I realize this is a hot button topic here, sorry if it starts something...
    Last edited by webhound; 12-18-2012 at 03:25 PM.

Actually I made a 1" tube bumper around the bottom of the tank. Same setup I had when I was wrecked at Road Atlanta and backed into a Jersey barrier and moved it 10". Had to replace the can and the car but am still using the cell. Chuck
    Last edited by chuck baader; 12-18-2012 at 03:29 PM. Reason: car
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq

Quote Originally Posted by chuck baader View Post
    Actually I made a 1" tube bumper around the bottom of the tank. Same setup I had when I was wrecked at Road Atlanta and backed into a Jersey barrier and moved it 10". Had to replace the can and the car but am still using the cell. Chuck
    Ok, thanks Chuck. That makes a lot of sense.

Will

I'm just not a fan of SFI rated tanks...I spent the money on an FIA approved tank and bladder. I still think the FIA standard should be the one to standardize fuel cell use.
    #72 ITE Scirocco
    NARRC ITE champion 2011

in a civic you can put a cell in the stock location, though punching through the floor, and just build a "box" around the top. meets the letter of the rule. This is what we have in the TrackSpeed Civic FP car, with an ATL "Black Box" and it's good to very low fuel levels (~1gal)

you could also put the cell int he passenger area. Either way it's 100% inside the roll structure and the wheelbase and plenty safe, though I find the stock tank to be an easier solution if you can get a handle on the starvation. that was always a problem in the CRX we ran years ago. some of the options here look very good.

The cost difference for the Jazz vs. the others is about a factor of 5. From my (unfortunate) experience, both will work well when installed properly. CB
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq

I use a JAZ sfi cell In my lemons car, and its a great setup. Very very well made.