Thread: surge tanks?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default surge tanks?

Just a simple question are surge tanks legal in IT? (For the fuel system to help prevent starvation) If they are legal do the need to have any "rating" like a fuel cell? I read through the gcr but I couldn't figure it out.

Stephen
    Last edited by StephenB; 10-26-2010 at 10:26 PM.

Put a filter element in it, and call it a filter. Filters are free

Quote Originally Posted by Sandro View Post
    Put a filter element in it, and call it a filter. Filters are free
    and fuel flows through it... plumbing is free right?
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

Well I guess those are good arguments but I am going to be in YOUR class and hopefully beating YOU. Are you still OK with that as a reason?

I was reading in the GCR that you can have multiple fuel cells but then I think it needs an SFI rating...

I am honestly going to have a fuel starvation problem and I could add baffles and an additional pump inside the stock tank like others, but is that actually legal? In the end I would rather have the surge tank for multiple reasons but I don't want to waist the money if I am going to be protested and kicked out. I could easily add a filter and call it a huge 2gal. filter I guess.

Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by StephenB View Post
    I was reading in the GCR that you can have multiple fuel cells but then I think it needs an SFI rating...
    Sticky'd at the top, dood...

https://improvedtouring.com...ad.php?t=23937

I read through that link but it doesn't really discuss surge tanks and/or the legality of them. I do get the controversy of the wording on the FIA part...(not SFI, that was a slip of names by me) I guess my questions are if we can add surge tanks to a fuel cell system (I think a lot of people do?) And/or can you add a surge tank to a stock fuel system. In both cases does that "tank" have any specific safety requirements?

Thanks you for the link though. I was an idiot and only specifically did a search for "surge tank" but nothing came up.

Stephen