Thread: Weight loss

Default Weight loss

How would one drop 190 lbs from an IT built 92 honda civic si to make weight as an STL (assuming I built up the D16z6)? The following items that come to mind:

- remove Washer fluid bottle, motors and pipes... (currently my washer bottle has about .6 gallons of fluid in it)
    - Change stock hood to fiber
    - Change front fenders to fiber
    - Change front windshield to lexan
    - Change rear quarter windows to lexan
    - remove heating core
    - remove heater fan and pipes/conduit
    - remove front headlight(?) leading to intake
    - remove undercoating
    - change from stock to aftermarket racing gas tank
    - passenger side window

Is the list above correct for IT-> STL? Is there anything missing that would help shed weight (within reason)? how much weight would one drop if changes occurred?

Thanks,
    mid-day dreamer...aka Mickey
    Last edited by mossaidis; 10-25-2010 at 12:34 PM.
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

Mickey, check your rules, I'm not clear that all of that is STL legal (e.g., fenders, headlight; make sure you're not reading STU, the prep rules are different).

But that said, you're on the right track. Do you have IT-mandatory power steering? That can go. Plastic panels, plastic "glass", etc. Don't expect a fuel cell to be lighter; in fact, I suggest it and its ancillaries it would be heavier than a stamped-steel factory tank.

GA

Hire a jockey.

Losing some of own body weight is without question... I should lose 20 lbs. So here's the new list, comments welcome:

- remove Washer fluid bottle, motors and pipes... (currently my washer bottle has about .6 gallons of fluid in it)
    - Change stock hood to fiber
    - Change stock hatch/trunk to fiber
    - Change front windshield to lexan*
    - Change rear quarter windows to lexan*
    - remove heating core
    - remove heater fan and pipes/conduit
    - remove undercoating
    - passenger side window*

* - though reviewed briefly, I did not find these allowances referenced in the rules yet. Please help - I am ordering pistons for the new ITA (or STL) motor build next week.

mickey
    Last edited by mossaidis; 10-26-2010 at 01:11 PM.
    '92 Honda Civic Si

Quote Originally Posted by mossaidis View Post
    * - though reviewed briefly, I did not find these allowances referenced in the rules yet.
    STx rules are multi-fold. Note that the opening sections of the category regs refer to all STx classes (except as noted), then each has its own further class restrictions. So if something is allowed in the main category regs and not further restricted the class regs, then it's allowed. Further, some things not specifically allowed in the category regs may be allowed in the class regs.

Given that, within the category regs the front windows are allowed removal in F.7, plastic windshields in F.8, side windows F.10; hoods and hatches in STL-specific rules A.1.

Thanks tGA.

I am glad we have the list more or less spelled out for the group, including myself. In the end though, I can't imagine that adjustments will equal any more than 100 lbs. As we talked about at NARRC offs, I think a B18C would be the way to go in STL in an EG. B17 are just too rare these days, though it's a consideration.
    '92 Honda Civic Si

A couple things to note...
    The windshield must have an "effective anti-fogging device", which could be a fan blowing on the glass, a film coating, or even a rag on a stick... but it's something to think about if/when you pull the dash apart.

For my interior, there's absolutely nothing left other than the dash. I have an antifogging film on the glass. No problems with fog.... yet...
    Everything that has to be there, nothing that doesn't. http://blehmco.com/pics/240SX/interior/DSCN0222.jpg

And yes, my washer bottle has been replaced by the mandatory 1qt catch cans for the engine and transmission. (then of course one leaked at the last race and dumped oil all over my RF tire... I wondered why it wouldn't turn left!)

Also.. My passenger window (both windwos actually) have been removed, but I left the top section of the rails in. I then riveted some sheet metal stops in it and I just drop the glass into the door when I need to store the car outside or it's raining at the track. it's not completely waterproof, but it keeps out 99% of the rain so I have no worries storing it outside.

For fiber panels, the only things you're allowed are the hood and trunk/hatch. Fenders and doors must remain stock. I'm guessing you figured that out due to the revision.

As for how much this stuff removes,
    The power window assy is about 5lb in each door. the glass 10lb each door.
    front windshield weighs 25lb or so, and lexan is 1/2 that. so lose 12lb up front. you can go to 1/8" lexan in back, so you'll lose about 18lb on the rear window.
    The factory hood on my car weighs about 40lb. A $275 fiberglass version weighs 13lb.
    The trunklid w/ factory wing weighs 35-40lb. think 15lb with that.
    bumper supports may be 'modified' as long as they are identifiable as the factory part. (at least for STU) so get out the plasma cutter and lose another 25lb if you're willing to compromise a bit of structure in the bumpers.

umm yeah. My $0.02..
    Last edited by Matt93SE; 10-30-2010 at 07:59 PM.