Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stolen Trailer

Default Stolen Trailer

Looks like I'm not going to be at the ARRC. My trailer was stolen this weekend. 24 foot Pace Shadow. White. I'll post the VIN and tag just in case anyone happens to see it. Atlanta area, stolen off Clairmont Road.

Thank goodness the car wasn't in it but there was alot of spares, including some brand new un-obtainable 240z aluminum drums.

I hate thieves.

'Take him out and shoot him!'

What movie is that from?
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

Life lessons from 'Beer For My Horses'
    92 ITA Saturn

Seriously, Tom, that's a bummer! Can you post any pictures of the trailer?
    92 ITA Saturn

What movie was that from?

I have pics and the VIN. I'll post some later. I am so glad the car wasn't in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Donnelly View Post
    I am so glad the car wasn't in it.
    Which is exactly why insurance companies that offer STP (Storage, Transportation, Paddock) coverage do not cover cars stored in or on trailers...

Park 'em in the garage, kids. - GA

I have pics and the VIN. I'll post some later. .
    Get me some pictures......... Hope I find em....We have a few freshly plowed fields around here. They could use some fertilizer
    Last edited by Hotshoe; 10-25-2010 at 12:15 PM.

What movie was that from?

I have pics and the VIN. I'll post some later. I am so glad the car wasn't in it.

Catch 22. Movie was actually terrible, book was great. Learned everything I needed to know about the Army before I was drafted. That and Soldier in the Rain.
    92 ITA Saturn

Pics of the trailer. Its pretty common looking. The ramp door has a busted hinge and the paint on the driver's side is faded out in weird drippy looking spots.
    Attached Images Attached Images

w0w! Sorry to hear!!

Hey Tom, sorry about the loss of your trailer and all. I live off Clairmont and Briarcliff so I have some concern. Where was your trailer? At home or some type of storage facility? Makes me nervous. While I don't keep my car in the trailer, I have a lot of spares and wheels/tires.

Hope you get it all back soon.
    Tristan Smith
    1991 Nissan ITR 300zx #56

It was at work. Off Clairmont at Century Blvd near the I85 exit. It happened at 1:45pm on a Sunday. I left the trailer there so I could to go pick up my race car for the ARRC later in the week. I'd been working overtime and was actually there over the weekend, just not Sunday.

It took the guy 2 minutes to hook up and drive off. The parking lot cameras had it all on video. 1:45 to 1:47. That's fast. I had a bullfrog lock and a hitch lock that bolt cutters made short work of. The thief was driving a black 92-98 Suburban with a really faded roof. Investigations at work is supposed to release the video to the police but they are dragging their feet for some reason. Don't leave anything in a trailer, they're too easy to break into and too easy to steal. Luckily, all that was in the trailer were my worn spares, some misc fluids and stuff, and a beat floor jack. My good spares turned out to be at my parent's.

I'm still p!$$ed though.

people suck :/
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

It was at work. Off Clairmont at Century Blvd near the I85 exit. It happened at 1:45pm on a Sunday. I left the trailer there so I could to go pick up my race car for the ARRC later in the week. I'd been working overtime and was actually there over the weekend, just not Sunday.

It took the guy 2 minutes to hook up and drive off. The parking lot cameras had it all on video. 1:45 to 1:47. That's fast. I had a bullfrog lock and a hitch lock that bolt cutters made short work of. The thief was driving a black 92-98 Suburban with a really faded roof. Investigations at work is supposed to release the video to the police but they are dragging their feet for some reason. Don't leave anything in a trailer, they're too easy to break into and too easy to steal. Luckily, all that was in the trailer were my worn spares, some misc fluids and stuff, and a beat floor jack. My good spares turned out to be at my parent's.

I'm still p!$ though.
    That WAS fast. Yikes.
    I had an open trailer at one of the sites where I use to keep my cars. I had chains around the wheels and someone still tried to drag it away. They got about 40 feet and decided to just leave it.

One thing I did for security. I Painted the Tag number in big numbers/letters on the roof of the trailer. I figured the trailer could be ID'd from the air and the thieves wouldn't notice it up there. Who knows if it would be effective or not, but an idea.
    Tristan Smith
    1991 Nissan ITR 300zx #56

I paint my trailer wheels chevy Orange. If I had a box trailer, Iwould paint my car # or the last 4# of my SS # on the roof , in chevy orange.
    MM
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

Painting something on the roof is a good idea. I thought of it too, just didn't get around to doing it. The next trailer will have lo-jac or something similar. And nothing will get stored in it.

Tom I use a Protec system 1 on my trailer. Has motion and door sensors. Best part is it has a dedicated marine battery that gives you light when parked, and locks down all the trailer brakes, sounds alarm, and flashes all the lights if someone tries to move it. They will look real stupid trying to get unhooked fast enough to get away. Insurance is cheaper with the system as well. Hope they find yours.

http://protecsystemone.com/
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

Thanks. Looking at the protec site now.

Thanks. Looking at the protec site now.
    If your good with wiring, you can do an alarm yourself. I installed a paging car alarm and an optima battery in my trailer. For the doors/entry ways, I used a dei magnetic switch instead of pin switches. Or you can just use one of those interior pressure sensors also called ultrasonic sensors which makes things even easier. I mounted a siren inside the trailer and one outside. Then you use a relay to hook up the electronic trailer brakes so when the alarm goes off, the brakes activate and the lights flash. I also bought a "tilt sensor" that detects if your trailer gets jacked up (like being hooked up to tow away) but haven't installed it yet, but will do it really soon.

I also use the battery to run my winch and interior lights so if you have a trailer battery already, you just need a car alarm. You can pick them up on Amazon or Sonic Electronix. You can recharge the battery with your tow vehicle while running, but if you plan to leave the trailer unhooked for a long time, probably a solar charger would be a good idea.
    I bought an clifford alarm with one mile paging for $199 but i may remove it cause it's too fancy and could use something simpler and cheaper.

-Jack
    Last edited by jrx13; 11-17-2010 at 07:55 PM.

I have never used a tongue lock etc. I always chain my wheels togather, I do dummy one that can be seen with big chain not actually doing anything, then a cable on the others side that can barely be seen....

That sucks!Ill keep an eye out in Nebraska for it...
    "Nebraska organizing committees
    to race in Iowa & Ne board thing "
    Still working on a name...
    X-MVRG Member...
    ITB Rabbit/ITA Miata