Thread: Contingency - One Club to Another

Default Contingency - One Club to Another

Do the Clubs(SCCA and NASA) ask the companies if they are interested in doing contingencies or do the companies come to the clubs?
    Im guessing the companies come to the clubs. Does anyone know why it seems like companies only support one club, do the Clubs require this?(not supporting the competition)

Reason I ask is, Hoosier and Hawk, both fully support NASA but not SCCA, except for the Runoffs and ARRC. They both even support the Nasa Time Trials program, seems a little weird that they support Time Trials but not SCCA Racing.

On the other hand Kumho supports SCCA but not NASA.

Its kind of irritating knowing that I could be getting free tires, or pads for doing the exact same thing but running with a different club.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandro View Post
    Reason I ask is, Hoosier and Hawk, both fully support NASA but not SCCA, except for the Runoffs and ARRC. They both even support the Nasa Time Trials program, seems a little weird that they support Time Trials but not SCCA Racing.
    Hoosier pays MUCH better for SCCA than NASA, they just don't pay for Regional racing.

SCCA National
    1st - 2 tires, 3 starters minimum
    2nd - 1 tire, 5 starters minimum

NASA
    A complicated chart requiring 7 starters to get your 2 tires

I can pick up $1000 in a weekend from Mazdaspeed in SCCA. Takes me an entire year to get that in NASA from Mazdaspeed.

SCCA National pays the best contingency, followed by NASA and then SCCA Regional. The National/Regional distinction in SCCA I think hurts it in terms of contingency, that distinction does not exist in NASA, everyone is the same.

These companies give out money/product in hopes of getting something in return, that is increasing sales of their product. They are for-profit companies. I think the perception in the eyes of many companies is that SCCA National competitors will spend the most money on product, followed by NASA and then SCCA regional. They are willing to give out money/product based on the crowds that are most likely to spend the money and in turn by more product.
    Mark B. - Dallas, TX
    #76 RX-7 2nd Gen
    SCCA EP
    Former ITS, ITE, NASA PT

don't forget, contingency is not the same as payout.

i could offer a contingency of $1,000,000 to the first place car in TTA if there is a field of 100,000 cars running my uberunobtanium brake bolts. the clubs splash headlines about the total contingency but it will never pay out.

the toyo contingency for nasa nationals looked pretty good in honda challenge until you consider if there weren't enough cars to make the payout for some of the classes.

there is a picture somewhere of three of us H5 guys standing on the podium holding these giant checks that we never did cash in...

Kumho Bucks was the best for me a few years back.

but a couple of years ago Hoosier offered a drawing of a free tire at the IT fest for every tire you purchased at the track. i won two tires. that was very generous and unexpected.
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

Hankook had one of the best. I think it was $400, $300 and $200 in tire money for 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Win both races at a double and you got yourself a set of tires.
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place