Thread: STU Stl rules question

Default STU Stl rules question

Ok stupid thought while reading GRM article. STU allows modified rear suspension on RWD cars. What if someone had a say Miata rear subframe and a first gen RX7.
    The frame rails are the same distance apart and it looks to be a fairly easy swap. Just thinking about ease of parts and availability. Hmmm

Dan 77 IT7

read 9.1.4.L in the current STU rules set (and see the relevent fastrack when the ST category update is finalized, not yet released). IF the suspension mounting points aren't relocated outside of the listed dimensions, all of the factory pieces can be used (reinforced as allowed), and baring modifications for bump steer and alternate material control arms - you're OK. So I don't think the subframe could be boled into the RX7 legally - it' san alternate component that is not allowed.

However, If you could move those pickup points on the 7's subframe so that they matched the miata's, and they were not moved over the allowed distances, and the 7's non-control arm components fit the miata's control arms (allowing bushing changes) then you should be good to go that way as, theoretically, same-material alternate control arms of the stock, major dimensions would also be legal.

STU Dan? Come to your senses! It's a class for World Challenge cars....
    Turn your attention to STL...
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    Turn your attention to STL...
    I agree with Jakey on that one...that's what I'm going to do.

I've asked Webmaster to create an STU/STL forum here for us, where we can discuss rules and such. I think this forum is a good location, especially given the not-so-secret push to get more IT cars into STL, and thus back-door National status...

By the way, based on what I've heard over the last few months (primarily at the Runoffs) I'd suggest STL will be Regional-Only in '11. However, we should see enough true-STL cars (me) and lots of double-dippers (spelled SM and SSM, as well as ITA/B/C) that STL numbers will National classification soon enough. - GA

tGa - remind us where we can find the STL proposed rules again?
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

Quote Originally Posted by mossaidis View Post
    tGa - remind us where we can find the STL proposed rules again?
    August Fastrack. Those will likely be approved as-is, with ongoing line-item allowances considered.

I didnt say it was a good idea. just possable. STL I need to add weight before the RWD adder and I cant touch the engine or induction on the 12a.
    STU we can remove weight,port the engine,swap in a 13b s4 or s5 engine,and fabricate rear suspension. Now that I have the rules in frt of me,its not allowed in STU, Not the intent to change from solid axle to IRS by fabricating rear suspension. I believe they mean aftermarket rods and hiem joints. You can however remove the stupid upper links and change to a true 3 link I believe. you may need the foam bushings in the uppers. need to measure the distance from the stock location to the tri link.

Like I said,not a good idea,just possable. can you say SPU. The 7 in florida for $2000 would be a good doner to start with.

Dan 77 IT7

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    August Fastrack. Those will likely be approved as-is, with ongoing line-item allowances considered.
    What are the odds? SCCA.com is down currently!
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    I've asked Webmaster to create an STU/STL forum here for us, where we can discuss rules and such.
    I was thinking about that too. Thank you for taking the iniative.
    Anthony
    STU Porsche 944T
    ITB Volvo 142 (in the making)