First off,
The budget is $4k for the tow vehicle.
Not sure how much to budget for the trailer.

I expect the 2011 season to be my first race season in full sized cars (vs karts). I am finishing up a Miata that I plan on racing in ITA and SM. I will need to buy a tow vehicle and trailer in the next 4-5 months and need to learn a lot. I have towed twice before using Uhauls and open trailers and, based on those lessons, I want something safe and reliable.

I only plan on using the vehicle for towing only. I hate driving big vehicles for DD commuting. I'll mostly be using the vehicle to tow around California - Thunderhill, Infineon, Laguna Seca are all within 175 miles max from me. Buttonwillow and Willow Springs which I will hit occasionally are <400 miles away.

Regarding trailers, I'd like to get an enclosed trailer. If not right now, then as soon as possible. My storage/parking options are limited so the enclosed trailer will double as the car's garage. Or at least those are my thoughts on that right now...

Do they make small trailers w/ 5th wheel (gooseneck??) options? If I understand correctly, the 5th wheel is a safer tow than a hitch. Is that true?

What should I budget for a small enclosed trailer?

Regarding tow vehicles, I have read many threads on the topic here and on other forums. I am thinking of some 3/4 ton Ford or Chevy van, truck or SUV. I'm leaning toward an SUV since both my car and wife's car are pretty small and it would be nice to have some seating space when family visits but that honestly only happens 2-3 times a year so its only a small factor in the decision.

In my price range (up to $4,000) around the San Francisco area, it seems like it is easier to find an SUV like the 2500 Suburban with the 350 or 454 gas motor with lower mileage compared to the vans and pickups that are generally work vehicles and look pretty well used up.

Is towing a small enclosed trailer OK with the Suburban? How about a van? I read people saying to get a pickup if paired with an enclosed trailer but I dont' understand why...

I also notice a lot of the Chevy 350s from the 1990 vehicles have had rebuilds or have had new engines installed. Why is that? I don't see very many Ford ads on craigslist with people mentioning rebuilt motors.

I've looked for V10 Ford vans but most are outside my price range. From a reliability perspective, it seems like a toss up between having the Ford heads rethreaded to fix a spark plug issue or deal with intake manifold gaskets on the Chevy. Although I have heard that Fords have better reliability. Not sure if that is true.

Thanks in advance for your input. I have a lot to learn.