Thread: Looking for my first tow vehicle (also trailer) - Truck Budget ~$4k

Default Looking for my first tow vehicle (also trailer) - Truck Budget ~$4k

First off,
    The budget is $4k for the tow vehicle.
    Not sure how much to budget for the trailer.

I expect the 2011 season to be my first race season in full sized cars (vs karts). I am finishing up a Miata that I plan on racing in ITA and SM. I will need to buy a tow vehicle and trailer in the next 4-5 months and need to learn a lot. I have towed twice before using Uhauls and open trailers and, based on those lessons, I want something safe and reliable.

I only plan on using the vehicle for towing only. I hate driving big vehicles for DD commuting. I'll mostly be using the vehicle to tow around California - Thunderhill, Infineon, Laguna Seca are all within 175 miles max from me. Buttonwillow and Willow Springs which I will hit occasionally are <400 miles away.

Regarding trailers, I'd like to get an enclosed trailer. If not right now, then as soon as possible. My storage/parking options are limited so the enclosed trailer will double as the car's garage. Or at least those are my thoughts on that right now...

Do they make small trailers w/ 5th wheel (gooseneck??) options? If I understand correctly, the 5th wheel is a safer tow than a hitch. Is that true?

What should I budget for a small enclosed trailer?

Regarding tow vehicles, I have read many threads on the topic here and on other forums. I am thinking of some 3/4 ton Ford or Chevy van, truck or SUV. I'm leaning toward an SUV since both my car and wife's car are pretty small and it would be nice to have some seating space when family visits but that honestly only happens 2-3 times a year so its only a small factor in the decision.

In my price range (up to $4,000) around the San Francisco area, it seems like it is easier to find an SUV like the 2500 Suburban with the 350 or 454 gas motor with lower mileage compared to the vans and pickups that are generally work vehicles and look pretty well used up.

Is towing a small enclosed trailer OK with the Suburban? How about a van? I read people saying to get a pickup if paired with an enclosed trailer but I dont' understand why...

I also notice a lot of the Chevy 350s from the 1990 vehicles have had rebuilds or have had new engines installed. Why is that? I don't see very many Ford ads on craigslist with people mentioning rebuilt motors.

I've looked for V10 Ford vans but most are outside my price range. From a reliability perspective, it seems like a toss up between having the Ford heads rethreaded to fix a spark plug issue or deal with intake manifold gaskets on the Chevy. Although I have heard that Fords have better reliability. Not sure if that is true.

Thanks in advance for your input. I have a lot to learn.

Excellent questions - you're doing a good thought process and that will help a lot. I went through a similar decision, though wanted an open trailer for easier storage.

Got an F150. They have good reputations for a reason. Got a 2000 with Xtracab so can carry four adults locally (my tow vehicle budget was $9K).
    Considered Chevy but model naming/numbering is confusing, and Tundras were 30% costlier.

For your very limited use, you should have no problem with the $4K range.
    I'd have a van but wanted 4x4 for snow/camping. Vans seem most efficient - one big box. Especially for a small/open trailer. Put fuel and smelly stuff on the trailer and everything else in the van. Camp in it at track or in the woods, change clothes comfortably, or carry seven folks in comfort.

To me, SUVs have the least-space efficiency with the worst aspects of both trucks and vans. On the other hand, there are a LOT out there.

You need bigger than a Ranger/Explorer, since a closed trailer and Miata will be 7-8,000 pounds fully loaded. A mid-90s F250 might be perfect - as pickup, van (E250), or Expedition.
    Others can advise much more on trailers - the issue is not what you can make go forward, but how much weight you can stop.

Hope this helps - it's my first post here after lurking a month!

As a first enclosed trailer, a 20 or 22 foot with brakes on both axles will hold all your spares. The can be found in the 4K range. If looking at a Suburban, the 350 would be marginal towing uphill. Go for the 454 - it will also pull your next (and larger) enclosed trailer.
    BOL
    Chuck

If you buy a Van over a truck you will get more vehicle for your money. The vans seem to loose their value way faster and then level out around $4-5K

I just bought a 2000 E350 Chateau Van(complete finished interior not a cargo van) with a V10 and 120k for $5000, you could never buy an equivalent truck for even double of that price.

It has honestly been the best purchase ever. For me I don't have an enclosed trailer so the van doubles as sleeping quarters and protects all my stuff from weather and when parked at night. If your planning on an enclosed trailer then a truck could do for you, but money wise a Van is cheaper.

The Ford V10 issue is real, but primarily applies to the '99 and earlier trucks. I have a '04 E350 XLT (full interior, all sorts of luxury bells and whistles) with that engine and over 50K miles on it. It is a great tow vehicle. No problems since I bought it five years ago with 14K miles on it. 90%+ of the miles I have put on it have been towing my 24 foot open with a Miata on it.
    Last edited by Wreckerboy; 10-21-2010 at 11:16 AM.
    Hero To The Momentum Challenged

I haven't seen many 2000 + E350s in my price range around me. I occasionally see the extended E350s. Are those OK or is the extra length detrimental?

I was lucky to find a non extended. The only downside I could see with an extended is the tongue weight is farther from the rear wheels.

I know Greg Amy used to tow an enclosed with an extended van. Search for his name he had a pretty good summary of his experience with it.

I actually found that the E350 v10 where cheaper than some of the others, because most people aren't looking for something that big and powerful. I just kept my eyes on craigslist and auto trader for awhile.

We were very happy with our 95 GMC conversion van (2500 chassis), and 16' open trailer for the past 5 years. It was almost perfect for the job. Cheap to buy, simple to maintain, dry bed to sleep in at the track, and dry/secure tool storage at the track. Ours has the 5.7 tbi motor, and the tall rear end gears, which unexpectedly are perfect for towing. Just drop it out of D into 3 and the motor sits right at the 'sweet spot' when pulling at 65-70mph. This setup is for sale now for $4k (van and trailer). I would think you could find deals like this in your part of the country too.

Family needs have put me into a 25' class C motorhome for towing duties, and once the van and/or trailer sells I will probably pick up a 20' enclosed as well, but I will miss having the van as an extra vehicle to drive when a daily driver is in the shop, and for use as a home improvement project tool.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

Quote Originally Posted by shwah View Post
    We were very happy with our 95 GMC conversion van (2500 chassis), and 16' open trailer for the past 5 years. It was almost perfect for the job. Cheap to buy, simple to maintain, dry bed to sleep in at the track, and dry/secure tool storage at the track. Ours has the 5.7 tbi motor, and the tall rear end gears, which unexpectedly are perfect for towing. Just drop it out of D into 3 and the motor sits right at the 'sweet spot' when pulling at 65-70mph. This setup is for sale now for $4k (van and trailer). I would think you could find deals like this in your part of the country too.

Family needs have put me into a 25' class C motorhome for towing duties, and once the van and/or trailer sells I will probably pick up a 20' enclosed as well, but I will miss having the van as an extra vehicle to drive when a daily driver is in the shop, and for use as a home improvement project tool.

So which model van is that? With any luck, I will find a deal like yours close by.

I think part of the problem I'm having in finding these vehicles is that I don't know what to search for. I know nothing about trucks, vans and such.

Are high mileage vans from those airport shuttle places a good option? I see some of them for sale around my budget. The mileage is scary though. One has 300k + on it but supposedly has new engine and trans.
    Last edited by alberto_mg; 10-21-2010 at 08:11 PM.

Mine is a 1995 GMC Vandura 2500 conversion van.
    You do need a tow package, or need to add a trans cooler if you find one without.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

I prefer to buy from a private person, you can get a bit of history from the vehicle. Im not a big fan of buying airport shuttles or work trucks. Cause the driver is not the owner so they usually hammer the vehicles, but some companies also service and maintain their vehicles alot, so its a toss up.

These two don't list miles(usually pretty high if they dont list it, but worth giving a call)

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ctd/2022846719.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ctd/2022872504.html

Little Ugly, but its cheap for a Diesel:
    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/2022090287.html

Thanks for the links. I had seen the red one but am concerned with the pre-99 V10. On the white van, I have read that the 5.4L V8 isn't the best at towing so skipped it. Is that true of the Ford 5.4 V8?

Oddly enough, I've seen some 97-99 F250s (~190k miles) going for less than the 95-97 F250s with lower mileage. That has me scratching my head.

I picked up a '96 Chevy Turbo Diesel for $4500. I had to put another $3k into it though. I tow a 20ft enclosed trailer with an rx-7 and parts inside. It does pretty well. Can't go much over 65 on flat ground though.
    If you're towing an open trailer, your options broaden. They are lighter and you won't necessarily need a huge motor.
    Last edited by THawkbh; 10-27-2010 at 11:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by THawkbh View Post
    I picked up a '96 Chevy Turbo Diesel for $4500. I had to put another $3k into it though. I tow a 20ft enclosed trailer with an rx-7 and parts inside. It does pretty well. Can't go much over 65 on flat ground though.
    If you're towing an open trailer, your options broaden. They are lighter and you won't necessarily need a huge motor.

Ack! Scary. That would take a huge dent out of my racing budget...

Why and how quickly after the purchase did you have to dump that much $$ into it?

1992 Ford F-250 with 7.3L diesel. paid $2500 for it and it will tow anything. I LOVE this truck.

Russ
    Russ

Thanks for the input guys.
    I think I'm going to focus on an F250 hopefully with a diesel or a 460 V8 or a van with those same engine choices.