Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In the market for a new race car

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    The Swift is a nice deal but not what several consider easy to drive. Not so sure that's the car for Bill.
    110% agree.

Bill - remember the red Prizm that took out my teammate last weekend?? If I'm not mistaken, that's the same or similar platform. That guy hasn't yet managed to keep it under himself for a whole weekend without spinning out, hitting others etc.
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

My ITB '83 GTI is for sale $2k takes it.
    '83 GTI ITB

Quote Originally Posted by fornetti14 View Post
    You don't know how hard I am thinking about it!!!!!

What times did it run at Mid-Ohio?
    Last edited by RacerBill; 10-13-2010 at 11:00 AM. Reason: question
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

Quote Originally Posted by fornetti14 View Post
    I'm NOT in the market for a racecar and that sounds like a good deal. Jump on it.

If in fact you are a glutton for punishment... I think I know where an MR2 can be had for about $3K.
    Steve Beckley
    Walkersville MD
    MARRS #87 ITB MR2

Quote Originally Posted by 924Guy View Post
    110% agree.

Bill - remember the red Prizm that took out my teammate last weekend?? If I'm not mistaken, that's the same or similar platform. That guy hasn't yet managed to keep it under himself for a whole weekend without spinning out, hitting others etc.
    Is that what happened to the 55? Yeah, looking at the results sheet, I see it there.
    92 ITA Saturn

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    The Swift is a nice deal but not what several consider easy to drive. Not so sure that's the car for Bill.
    One could say the same about his current car. While I would not consider my car to be 100% developed, it's pretty darn close. It is most certainly a task to drive, and at times can be downright scary.

At the same time, I can tell you that we could probably get Bill's car significantly faster for less money than swtiching to a new car, and make it not so much of a "ragged edge" car.

I always recommend the buy-vs.-build for newer drivers, but I'm not sure in this case that it would be the best way to go. In the price range you're looking at, Bill, you might be buying someone else's problem, or something that'll take more work then yours to make reliable. I don't know the cars in question, so please don't anyone take that as a cut on their car that may be for sale.
    Matt Green

ITAC Member- 2012-??
    Tire Shaver at TreadZone- www.treadzone.com
    #96 Dodge Shelby Charger ITB- Mine, mine, all mine!
    I was around when they actually improved Improved Touring! (and now I'm trying not to mess it up!)

Matt: Thanks for the note. You are right - the devil that you know is more likely to be better than the devil you don't know! I have plenty of time to get something together for next year, so I think this will be my plan of attack:

1) I have the engine that came out of the car at the end of last season, at minimum I know I will have to replace the head gasket which is a job that I know that I can do. So I think that I will tackle that and see if the block or head have to be decked. That will get me to where I was maybe two years ago, but at least with a reliable car.

2) Disassemble the new engine and see exactly what went wrong. If the head/valves were not damaged then they could go on the old block, which would then be an improvement there.

At least that would give me a car that would be a turn-key if I decide to go out and purchase a different car.

At this point I would need to decide to keep or sell.

If I keep, then I think that the next step would be to upgrade the entire suspension with camber plates, coil-overs, and shocks.

BTW, Matt - I don't remember, does your Shelby have a bar between the front shock towers?

If I decide to switch, then I can start looking seriously at options. Right now there doesn't seem to be too much out there.

Thanks again to all for all the great input. I value your ideas and am taking all of them into consideration.
    92 ITA Saturn

Someone once said "The cheapest race car is the one you already own".

Bill, did you say that the engine went flat and it was smoking?

If it just went flat that could mean that the timing belt jumped a tooth, not unusual on the 2.2, but that wouldn't cause it to smoke. You might want to make sure the timing marks are aligned on the cam, crank and auxiliary shaft sprockets. I can check the cam/crank/auxiliary shaft timing with the engine in the car on the Daytona. I know the engine compartment is tighter on the Charger so that may not be easy.

If it's missing, you could have broken a lash adjuster (lifter) or displaced a cam follower (rocker arm). I've had both of the happen and it's a pretty easy fix. You might want to pull the valve cover and look.

If it's smoking badly, though, that's never good. It could be a broken ring (damaged during assembly), or a broken valve. You might get lucky. I broke a rod on a 2.2 once due to a spun bearing and didn't damage the block or the head. Ruined the crank, though.

Bob Clifton
    #05 ITB Dodge Daytona
    Last edited by rcc85; 10-18-2010 at 06:35 PM.

How about a brand new ITB Plymouth FIre Arrow? This car is race ready and has all the good stuff. It IS BRAND NEW...I ran it at the time trials in Atlanta to shake the car down and it was fast. This car was built by Doug Smith a 5 time Atlanta Pro It champion and it has every trick to go fast. I have his championship car and would be willing to part with the new one with plenty of spares. Check it out at www.plymouthfirearrow.com

My 1984 Nissan 200SX is still available. Lots of spares, price is negotable.

https://improvedtouring.com...ighlight=200sx
    Todd Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by tac911t View Post
    My 1984 Nissan 200SX is still available. Lots of spares, price is negotable.

https://improvedtouring.com...ighlight=200sx
    Thinking about this one, too.
    92 ITA Saturn