Thread: Halon Recharging

Default Halon Recharging

Anyone have any suggestions, preferably first hand experience, with getting the halon bottle from a fire system recharged.

Thanks
    Rory

PS I did a search but it did not yield any results.

http://www.firebottleracing.com/contact.html
    Firebottle. they should be able to do it. fialing that, ask your IT guys at work who does the fire system in their server room. chances are they have a halon system.

Check ALL shipping costs before you do it. Many times it is within a few dollars of just buying a new bottle and only having to pay shipping one way. Or buying a new one local from a speed shop or at the track and saving on shipping! Its considered hazmat, so shipping is crazy!
    Chris Leone
    318i going STL!!!
    E36 ITS underconstruction(sold)
    84 944 ITS (sold)
    71 240z more than half way there/now GT2 bound!!
    ChrisLeonemotorsports.com
    Roll cages and fabrication

Quote Originally Posted by backformore View Post
    Anyone have any suggestions, preferably first hand experience, with getting the halon bottle from a fire system recharged.

Thanks
    Rory

PS I did a search but it did not yield any results.
    The other posts are correct but there are many factors that decide if it can be refilled if at all. What type of halon? 1211 or 1301 and what brand bottle is it? Also does the bottle have a "DOT" stamp in it? Call if you have questions and I can walk you through it. We do this every day.

Bob Clark
    262-317-1225
    Former ITAC member
    #76 ITB 86 Honda CRX SI
    #76 GTL 89 Honda CRX SI

Try checking with a local commercial fire protection company. They do halon refills for fire systems in restaurants, etc. The last time I needed a refill, it cost only about $100 for 5 pound bottle, including replacing the puncture disc on the actuator. That was a few years ago, so I suspect halon prices have gone up a fair amount. However, I'd bet it's still cheaper than going to the manufacturer (or buying a new system) and doesn't involve shipping.
    Tom Lyttle
    Decatur, GA
    IT7 Mazda - 2006, 2008 SARRC Champion
    ITS Nissan 200SX - finally running correctly
    FP Ford Capri - waiting for a comp adjustment
    GT3 Dodge Daytona - what was I thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by TomL View Post
    Try checking with a local commercial fire protection company. They do halon refills for fire systems in restaurants, etc. The last time I needed a refill, it cost only about $100 for 5 pound bottle, including replacing the puncture disc on the actuator. That was a few years ago, so I suspect halon prices have gone up a fair amount. However, I'd bet it's still cheaper than going to the manufacturer (or buying a new system) and doesn't involve shipping.
    +1
    ITC #05
    '82 Jetta
    NEOhio
    Shutter-Up Inc.
    Olmsted Auto Care
    Light Doctor