Thread: Fuse failure

Default Fuse failure

Anybody ever have a fuse fail in the "non-visible" part of the fuse? I did. Fuse looked visibly fine, but it was dead when I got a multi-meter on it.

Ruint a track day trying to hunt this failure down......

I guess always just a smart thing when you have a weird electrical failure to replace a few critical fuses one by one and see what you get (or carry a multimeter, which I will now do at Dr. Earp's command......).
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

I always thought fuses were designed to fail in the visible portion. I.e. the metal there was what determined the amp rating of the fuse. I guess if the metal was the same all the way around then it could fail anywhere.

I figured you'd carry a couple multi-meters since British electrics are so renowned. I keep one in the toolbox and I have a Nissan.

David
    ITA 240SX #17
    Atlanta Region

Yes...they can crack or fracture in the "non-visible" parts...not uncommon at all. Have several buildings full of the little dears, and the techs all know that they've got to "ohm-out" any fuse, even if it looks OK.

Thanks John. That makes me feel better about this. I had no idea a fuse could fail that way.

Got two laps in on a test day before that happened. I am an idiot; should have just replaced the fuses (cheap).
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8