Thread: Looking for authoritative books on Porsche 901s

Default Looking for authoritative books on Porsche 901s

No one has posted here since April? Wow.

A friend-mechanic is (was) building a '68 and has simply stopped short of putting the suspension, steering, brakes, etc on after the getting the body work finished and building a slap-together 2.7 RS high-comp motor. The car was initially "pulled out of the barn" to be a rally car in NASA, but after much $$$ on the body work, I think the owner has changed his mind and wants it to just be a street/track car.

It seems that I will need to get personally involved if this car will ever see the light of day and roll under it's own power. The car owner is also the shop boss and is so involved with EVERYONE else's car that the Porsche is last on the list. So, I need to become 'edupacated' on the car, the build, assembling, performance items, etc.

Combing through forums and reading 1 useful thread among the gobs of crap is one thing. At this point, I would rather get a book to read through to 'feel' good about the fundamentals - lol.

So... I need to find authoritative books on the Porsche 901s. There are TOO many books on the 901s (first gen 911s) yet many of them are more historical references than manuals. I do NOT want to sort through 1,000's of books listed on amazon.com. So, you guys might be of huge help since you're basically AWESOME IT car builders and drivers and stuff.

Areas I need help on:
    - general assembly of the suspension (steering, brakes, etc) and drivetrain (the car is still a painted shell with a crap bolt-in cage)
    - performance tips & improvements for the track

Once the car is together and rolling, I will be more inclined to look on pelican.com, etc to shop for track performance bolt-ons, tips, ideas, etc. Though if you guys have good online reference material (forum and like), feel free to post here as well.

Best and thank you,
    Mickey
    Last edited by mossaidis; 10-05-2010 at 06:23 PM. Reason: grammar
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

Cool!!!
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Mickey-
    pelicanparts.com. go to 911, BBS, 911 tech section. TONS of info there, great signal to noise ratio, and lots of bright guys/

Andersons book is a must.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...chnical-forum/
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Bruce Andersons "Porsche 911 Performance Handbook" ISBN 0-87938-269-4 The BIBLE to building 911SC and earlier motors (and suspension upgrades). Try to find this first edition (look for the sticker on the cover that slipped by the proofreaders). The second edition ISBN 0-7603-0033-X is the same as the first, with updates to 1996.

Also visit Rennlist.com http://forums.rennlist.com/ the forum for Porsche. There are entire sections for the air cooled cars (what other Porsche is there ) and Performance and Competition.
    Todd Cohen

Sweet - thank you guys. just ordered the 3rd edition as it was not clear what was so special about the 1st edition... lol. Care to share online?
    '92 Honda Civic Si

An outstanding resource on the 901 is the factory shop manual. It has great pictures and assembly information on the car; body, suspension, engine and transmission. The other books tell you how to mod for performance. Porsche put out many iterations of the shop manual over the years so look on e-bay for the early versions.
    Chuck

hmmm... well, ebay has manuals from 63-72 for only $250... lol. Will Haynes do okay for $20? i used have a Haynes manual for my old '75 2002 and it did okay.
    '92 Honda Civic Si

IMHO the Haynes manual is throwing away $20.00. Check out Rennlist.com or the Pelican Parts forums. There are a large number of DIY articles that are no cost and have better descriptions and pictures than the Haynes. I also noticed that Pelican sells the Bentley manuals. Based on my experience using one with my BMW, that would be better money spent.

You may also find the factory manuals in some of the Porsche for-sale forums.
    When I had my 911, I purchased the factory manual on microfiche. If you could find a copy in microfiche, that would be a savings. I used the microfiche machine at the public library, and I am sure most library's still have microfiche machines.
    Todd Cohen