Thread: 2nd Gen Clutch Suggestions

Default 2nd Gen Clutch Suggestions

I've got an S5 flywheel, with S4 transmission. I've been running a solid (no springs) 4-puck clutch disc with aftermarket pressure plate since day one. I've come to think that a less aggressive clutch disc might be more desirable. Should I use the stock disc, or does a performance aftermarket disc provide some benefit? If so, which one?

Also, it looks like the S4 and S5 discs are different part numbers. What's the difference? Which one do I need?

If I switch from the pucks to an organic disc do I have to resurface the flywheel? I'd rather not pull it from the car.

TIA,
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

What are you trying to accomplish by switching clutch types?

The discs and pressure plates are the same across years. If you switch materials you should have the flywheel resurfaced. Just like with brakes you'll want to bed the new material into the flywheel, just like bedding brakes. Especially with organic material you'll want to properly bed the new material.
    Chris Ludwig
    GL Lakes Div
    www.ludwigmotorsports.com

Quote Originally Posted by C. Ludwig View Post
    What are you trying to accomplish by switching clutch types?
    1) I picked the solid disc when I didn't know much, but figured I needed it because I was racing. I've since come to appreciate some of the tradeoffs.
    2) The on/off nature of the solid disc has always been a pain in the paddock and trailering.
    3) My brain seems inpenetrable to learning rev-matched downshifting while braking. I figured anything I could do to ease the shock of engagement would make the car more stable and improve the life of the transmission.

The discs and pressure plates are the same across years.
    Good. I asked because both Mazda and many of the parts web sites show different part numbers - some saying they are incompatible. Seem to have the same specs though.

If you switch materials you should have the flywheel resurfaced. Just like with brakes you'll want to bed the new material into the flywheel, just like bedding brakes. Especially with organic material you'll want to properly bed the new material.
    But that's not as convenient.

Thanks Chris,
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

I understand. Nothing wrong with wanting what you want.

The good news is that you're not asking a whole lot of the clutch with the torque that the little rotary makes. Pretty much any good disc and cover should work. I've always had good luck with the stuff from ACT. SPEC works ok too, but they use pressure plates that "feel" very soft and in my mind that's not very confidence inspiring.
    Chris Ludwig
    GL Lakes Div
    www.ludwigmotorsports.com