Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jersey Road Racing Classic at NJMP

Quote Originally Posted by Kai Noeske View Post
    PS - WARNING - if I remember correctly, the dirt on the outside of the 90 deg lefthander after the bridge, right before the exit curb starts, was pretty worn, so that I bent a (very sturdy) wheel when I went from the dug-out dirt onto the curb.

That was a year ago - hope they fixed it - but worth sharing.
    Kai, the curbing there is not a problem, but as of July the curbing at the top of the hill just before the bridge (driver's left) is still a rim eater. I know somebody who killed three rims there last year during the SARRC/MARRS challenge.
    Hero To The Momentum Challenged

Quote Originally Posted by Wreckerboy View Post
    ... the curbing at the top of the hill just before the bridge (driver's left) is still a rim eater. I know somebody who killed three rims there last year during the SARRC/MARRS challenge.
    I remember when I ran that track for the first time, I thought to myself that whoever designed that course BADLY misjudged the lines around it: I don't think there was even one entrance or exit curb in the right place...

Either that, or we all suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Hanushek View Post
    Wes / Chris

A change has been approved to move STU / SPU to Group 5 so that it will not conflict with any IT class. The schedule / supps will be updated on DLB later today.

Our original change addressed the STU entrants when we made it (last Friday). After that decision was made, we had several additional STU entrants, some with conflicts. I believe that we have it right now.

Terry
    Yes, thanks Terry! and good work guys!
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

Quote Originally Posted by CRallo View Post
    Yes, thanks Terry! and good work guys!
    +1. Looking forward!

Finally decided to run both SSC and ITS. Good news for all 'regular' ITS folks: The one race where you *guaranteed* won't come last!
    Astrophysathingy / goaheadtakethewheel.com
    99 Civic SI #9 WDCR ITS/STL
    93 Corolla / 97 PDX Miata

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    I remember when I ran that track for the first time, I thought to myself that whoever designed that course BADLY misjudged the lines around it: I don't think there was even one entrance or exit curb in the right place...

Either that, or we all suck.
    Was the track designed with a different set of laws of Physics in mind, maybe ? According to one instructor, owners of a certain German car make tend to drive ideal lines that are inconsistent with the Physics of the Common Man...

Quote Originally Posted by Wreckerboy View Post
    Kai, the curbing there is not a problem, but as of July the curbing at the top of the hill just before the bridge (driver's left) is still a rim eater. I know somebody who killed three rims there last year during the SARRC/MARRS challenge.
    Thanks for the warning Rob - I know how much of a sacrifice it is for you to remove a possible fail from a Honda Honey's in-car video.

First time I am glad the car needs to run its 19 lb "lightweight" stock alloys...!

I'm with Greg, it seems like there are lots of places the curbs are too far along the track at track out, and you slip a bit wide, go 9" off, then BAM, you hit the butt end of the curb. Just after the 'hill", that up and over right hander, at track out looked NASTY when I was last there, and I made sure to not put a wheel off there.
    Rob, THREE rims? Fool me once, etc etc etc...your guy isn't a quick learner, is he? LOL
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Was the track designed with a different set of laws of Physics in mind, maybe ? According to one instructor, owners of a certain German car make tend to drive ideal lines that are inconsistent with the Physics of the Common Man...
    Chris Rallo "the kid"

We'll be there with our ITA 240sx for it's second race weekend ever! Justin will be driving this time, double dipping into STU. This will be his first time even going to a race track in a year and a half!! We'll see if he remembers how to drive... We will be bringing along two crew member friends that I've just gotten interested in the sport. I will be playing crew chief...

I look forward to seeing yous guys there!
    Chris Rallo "the kid"

Three rims, no exaggeration, Jake. Mike LaMania, ITA/SM/SSM driver from Jersey just about cleaned Chris Windsor out of his spares that weekend. Mike's learning curve is, well let's just say that this is the same guy I bump drafted down the front straight at SP this year with his car on the rev limiter in fourth gear because he apparently forgot he had five gears to chose from...
    Hero To The Momentum Challenged

Curious if the RallyX use will affect the track.

Quote Originally Posted by joeg View Post
    Curious if the RallyX use will affect the track.
    is that this weekend too? sweet!

well the place is sure big enough... might be interesting though, wonder if we'll get a crowd?

Getting things together... gonna drive out stupid early in the morning and (almost) pull off a knight Rider inspired stunt on the way when i meet up with my team mate

ITA looks like quite a hodgepodge... looking forward to seeing the Fiero!
    Chris Rallo "the kid"

I am still the only SSC car... will be slowest in group 7... and will be the rolling chicane in group 3 (double-dipping in ITS).

I am still the only SSC car... will be slowest in group 7... and will be the rolling chicane in group 3 (double-dipping in ITS).
    Kai, I've seen you drive, you will NOT be the slowest car in group 7! and in group three you will have some ITB guys to run with I'm sure...

It should be good for you, especially being doubled up! you will have 8 sessions on track! if you can't figure it out by then...
    Chris Rallo "the kid"

Thanks to NNJR and SJR for putting on a fantastic event. Weather was perfect and conditions were great. it is amazing the number of people it takes to make an event work seemless.

From the racing side of things we survived the weekend! Had all kinds of trouble getting to the track on Friday, the water pump failed and the brakes were shot on the truck. The weekend almost ended before it began.

Then when we took the car off the trailer the end of the muffler hit the pavement causing it to ‘tweak.’ The end was bent up a little but the bigger problem was hidden as it pushed the pipe back about an inch. That caused a kink which cause stress on the muffler hanger, a little rubber donut looking thing. I bought new racing tires and off we went. The car doesn’t start! What the heck…. We get it started so now off we go. The tire was rubbing on the muffler so we thought it was just the new tires. Pull back around and take of the right rear to add a spacer. Did qualifying and noticed I was slower than usual. Figured it was me. Came in and checked things, looked OK. Went out into the first race and saw smoke, thought I blew the thing up. Pulled off on the pace lap and watched the first race from the weeds. Got pulled back where we saw what finally failed. The little donut thing broke causing the muffler to hit the tire causing much smoke. So I went from thinking I needed a $3000 new motor to using 29 cents of wire to hold up the muffler after I had 2 guys bend the pipe back (Thanks Rich, Tim and the other dozen or so people that stopped by) . Off to the second race, doesn’t start again, WTF now, jumped it and off we go. Started in the back and worked up my speed. Finished good but I know I can go faster. Done for Saturday.

Sunday rolls around, I have everything ready. Car doesn’t start, WTF now!!!!!! Starter start switch is broken. We get the car running, by having 5 guys push the car. Make it to the race and have a fine battle for 9th place which is right where I should have been.

So most of the trouble was because we rushed getting the car off the trailer and having a weak battery. Moral of the story…… I can’t wait till 2011 to do it all over again!!!!!!!!

Thanks again for all those that let us do this sport!
    Thanks,
    Darrell Anthony

What an excellent weekend of racing. South Jersey Region can really put on an excellent show and the folks at NJMP are really tops. Very efficient, friendly and excellent at taking care of an oiled up track.

ITR/ITS/ITB
    I had some brain fade and was late to 2 of the grids. I thought we were third group after lunch and we were second - watched from the motor home with my jaw dropped as the pace car took my run group out for the first qualifying race. Ran and strapped into the car, made it onto the track and was about 3/4 of a lap back when the green waved. Managed to battle up to 9th. Then for qualifying race 2 the car wouldn't start. Turns out the fuel gauge decided to go kooky and we were on fumes, throw 5 gallons in and manage to get out last on the pace lap. Battled from last up to fourth so at least I had a decent starting spot. For the classic race got a good start and took first at T1 but knew I had no grip to stay ahead. Matt Rooke dove to the inside for the lead at the hump and I gave enough racing room to run wide off the track and let about 5-6 cars by. Wished I had hung with Matt and John H. but lost sight of those guys. They were running low 16s and mid 15s all weekend - VERY fast. Battled up to third overall - great time out there.

Classic Race results
    ITS
    Rooke
    Hainsworth
    Greggory

ITR - I was the only guy - you folks missed a ton of track time :-(

ITB - don't know

STU
    I had better luck with STU and was able to win the two qualifier races. Qualifier race 1 was a good time with Windell - got the time down to a 1:16.5 and was able to win that overall. Windell had motor trouble and dropped out but we did have a nice run together. A fellow (Sean) arrived Sunday with a full on World Challenge BMW so I figured my goose was cooked. Got lucking during the Sunday qualier race 2 when the BMW went off at turn 1 and won that. For the classic race, last one of the season the tires were down to nothing - I think I got about 25 heat cycles out of that set of Hoosiers! It was all I could do to stay in front of the ITS Miatas with no grip. Sorta like an A sedan - stretch it out on power and then dog it in the turns. The BMW finished 1st with a 1:13.9, took second with a slow 1:18.8 - but it was a good challenge to figure out how to adjust the line as the grip dropped away.

STU
    BMW - Sean
    Phillips
    Yannis Tousinas

The season is officially over for BigSpeed - figure a new paint job and some major dyno tuning this winter :-)
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

A big shout out to Chris Rallo in the ITA car - we were paddocked together and these guys are the real deal - thashed on their car during the night to fix ball joint problems and got back out to race. When my car wouldn't start he was right there to lend a hand! That's what SCCA is all about!
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

What everyone above said - a fantastic event, and a total daze of track time galore on an awesome track, with a great crowd, in awesome weather, to end the season.

I drove my car to and from the track - a Civic holds ten (10!) 15" wheels, toolbox, jack & 4 stands, big tub of spares 'n stuff, helmet+suit duffel bag, 5 gal fuel can, clothes, food and drinks for the weekend, and a radio with ipod dock riding on top of the pile .

Double-dipped SSC and ITS; had some slower ITB and ITA cars to play with. Got pounded once, but could continue driving. 8 sessions - 2 15 min Quals, and 6 races - wow!!!

Noticed I was short on rubber, and Joe from Treadzone had the right size BFGs - he even had a set of *his own hillclimb tires* that were obviously heat-cycled and that he sold me for a good price - how awesome is that? Thanks!

Fist time racing Lightning - had only done a track day in a street car before - learned a lot over the weekend. Had better tires in front on day 1 and got within 2 sec of the ssc track record, which made my day .

Big Thanks to Mark Gregory for the alignment help, Chris for grid help, and Ben for explaining what happened when there was some paint traded. Was great to see all of you. Hopefully soon next season!

Detailed report on blog soon.

HUGE Thanks to the SNJ SCCA folks and all workers!!!
    Last edited by Kai Noeske; 10-25-2010 at 06:28 PM.

Great event at my "home" track put on by the JRB, also my "home" region racing group.

I had a blast, though it started out better than it ended. Saturday qualifying had me the fastest ITB car by 1.7 seconds at a 1:22.9, a full 3 seconds faster than I ran at Lightning back in July. Race 1 had me first in class until I fell off the back of 5 and went off-roading for a while ending up 3rd; race two, which was the last session on Saturday, I had what had to be the sleeve of my suit catch the latch link release on my harness. Driving around the back of the track it felt like the right shoulder strap was loose, looked down while driving around the bend heading to 7 and could see enough that the harness definitely wasn't right. Since that corner can be a busy place, backed way off around the Lightbulb and headed to pit lane to get myself back together. So much for race 2. Race three I got stuck in a bad spot at the start, and had my work cut out for me gettingn around some slower ITS cars. Finally catching what was the 3rd place ITB car, when I got too greedy at the inside 1 and banged my driver's door to RF wheel. No real damage other than a meatball, but the impact was enough to pop the small latch link that holds my window net up! Pull way off driver's left and proceed to spend the next few race laps playing blind monkey trying to type Shakespeare in order to get the rod back in the bracket hole on the main hoop. Finally find it, get the net back up and suck the last two laps of the race.

Over the Winter I most definitely will be investigating eliminating latch links from my restraint systems.........

Oh, and I did manage to need a trip to medical before I left the track too. Stepping out of my trailer, I managed to roll my right ankle, badly spraining it, as well as popping something in my left leg quadricep as I went flailing down to my right. So packing up I could barely walk. Normally the 14 year old son could have pretty much handled it, but he's out of commission with a broken leg, so the wife and 13 year old daughter had to do most of the heavy lifting and crawling under the car to tie it down. Still, we made it home and got all unpacked this morning, but I will be hobbling for at least a week.

But, I'd do it all over again. It was that much fun.
    Rob Foley
    Race: ITB '87 CRX Si
    Autocross: GP '86 Civic Si

Ugh! Sorry to hear Rob! #51 driver and car were definitely a fast combination - I had no business even trying to keep up with you despite the hp advantage.

Sorry that bad luck bit you - I saw you in the vegetation at the exit of 1 but did not know that other stupid things happened afterwards in the paddock.

Hope there is nothing serious with your leg/ankle. It was great to meet you, hope to see you soon again - planning to be out at NJMP next season again.