I am going out with my Cougar this weekend, so I double checked my alignment to make sure it was according to target. In doing this something started to bother me and this is where I need some help in understanding what other people are doing and why.

The car has an extremely long wheel base, a huge big lump of a motor mounted high up and forward on the car. The car really wants to be a huge lawn dart and just go straight. The original builders were running almost a 1/4" of toe out in the front and - 4 degrees of camber. In the rear they were at 3/8" toe out and -2 degrees of camber. In their notes the driver was always mentioning understeer on corner entry and exit.

The second owner added a big splitter and dam to the front, raised the rear wing about 2" and went to an extreme 5/8" toe out in the front and -5 degrees of camber. At the rear he brought the car back to almost 0 toe and left the camber at -2 degrees.

The car handles very well now and points in to the corners very well. In the super high speed stuff you can balance the car on the throttle like a RWD car. You still have some power on push and the slower the corner, the worse it is.

I can live with the handling as the car is just great to drive, but it is tearing the front tires off the car. I can take an RA1 from a 4/32 to a slick in 15 laps. I want to pull the front toe in somewhat to extend the tire life, but my experince with FWD cars is limited and I really don't want to increase the push any more than it already has.

So the question is, directionally, as I pull the front toe in do I have to increase the rear roll stiffness to compensate. Will this make the car more or less sluggish to turn in. Or if I pull the front toe in will the increased straightline speed compensate for the slower corner entry? I hope that steady state cornering speeds would be the same no matter what I do as they are dependent on spring rates and aero, but I am concrened about transitional characteristics.

Any thoughts from you FWD guys?

Eric