Thread: Without more volunteers, our club is in trouble. A new way you can help

Default Without more volunteers, our club is in trouble. A new way you can help

There’s a need to create a resource to serve as a volunteer recruiting tool as well as provide information that existing volunteers and regions need. A few regions have asked if I would expand my website to include this type of information. I think it’s a fantastic idea but can’t take on this project without your assistance. Many of us here talk about how we are willing to help the club, but either don’t want to do it during a race weekend or commit to something on a regularly scheduled basis. With this project you can take on as much or as little of this as you’d like, it’s totally up to you. I realize that most of us already have an extremely busy lives, and finding any spare time is a struggle. Trust me, I get it. At the same time I think this would be a valuable tool and it’s critical that we attract and retain more volunteers. Hey, do it for yourself knowing what will happen if we don’t get more volunteers.

How will this be put into use and will people actually see it? SCCA continues to be extremely supportive of the GoAheadTakeTheWheel.com resource and the national website has multiple links pointing people to it. Some regions are also directing people to the site and hopefully more will put it to use especially now that it’s all free. People…prospective volunteers…will see this. I currently have a small section about volunteering on the site but it’s far from what it could be. There are a few initial components which I believe would be of value and a place to start without this becoming too overwhelming of a project.

Recruitment Tool - Show what’s in it for them. A big part of this is for people to see how much fun getting involved is and how they can be a part of the action. A behind the scenes look at various positions. Include information about why people who currently volunteer in that role enjoy it. Capture the experience and sell it.

Job descriptions and related information - What are the various ways / positions people can volunteer at the track and off? What does a person in that role do? How much of a time commitment is needed? What volunteer opportunities are there besides on a race weekend (thinking of for racers as well as others)? I’ve spoken with the national office and various regions – we don’t have what I needed in this area.

In what capacities could you help?
    Just off the top of my head: Help assemble the information needed for a job description(s). You would choose which and how many of these you’d like to focus on. Writing, editing, taking nice photos, possibly video of people volunteering in the applicable role and/or interview a volunteer, speaking with existing volunteers to gather information, talking to regions about what they could use help with related to this topic, assist in managing this project and collecting the information from people, and I’m sure there are several other opportunities that exist.

What are your thoughts on this? Too big of a project and not worth it? Willing to help out?
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Dave, I'm a word guy by trade. I'll volunteer to help by editing/rewriting all copy so it reads nice and purty.

Steve

Dave: I am an IT guy, a published author, and a photographer. Even did my own website. Count me in for whatever help you need.
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

Thanks Steve and Bill!

Bill, do are there any more races that you'll be attending this year? I could use some nice photos of various volunteer positions.

I'll be able to find descriptions of the various volunteer positions regions have available at the track. I also know there are many others needed beyond that but can't find information about it. Any suggestions on where this could be obtained?
    Dave Gran

Dave: Yes, I'll be at be at the OVR Double Regional on Oct 9-10 at Mid-Ohio, and also the WOR Games PDX, Enduro, and Double Regional on Oct. 15-17 at Mid-Ohio.

I'll shoot a bunch of stuff for you!

I'll also get some information about some of the other regional office positions, Auto-x, rally, race-chair, blah blah blah.

Check out the Ohio Valley Region and Cincinnati Region websites.
    Last edited by RacerBill; 09-25-2010 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Added content
    92 ITA Saturn

Dave: I'll get the pics loaded as soon as I can. Need to rename them, etc. Bad weekend, engine went up in a puff of smoke.
    92 ITA Saturn

No big rush Bill - thank you!

I'll be able to find the information about at the track volunteer positions, but it doesn't seem like there's much out there about the various areas assistance is needed beyond the track. Looking at various regions websites, I can't find information about what these are or really anthing about them. For example, regional exe, secretary, and treasurer. Are these positions unique to just some regions? Do regions have plenty of people volunteering for them therefore don't recruit on their websites for them?
    Dave Gran

Dave
    I'm not going to dive into recruiting on this site as I get misunderstood often.
    If you really want to make something happen, start with a CRB meeting.
    NER's next meeting is Friday, 10/15 in Sturbridge MA.
    Let me know if you are really interested in helping.
    Jerry
    NER South

Dave those positions are filled by the members of the BOD in most regions, and the RE is elected by the BOD or other similar positions.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)