Thread: recipe for 240z ITS motor?

Default recipe for 240z ITS motor?

I am finally getting around to building a motor for my 240z. I have core motor 2.4 with an e88 head, I also have an e31 head lying around. I have been out of the z circles for a while now running my ita acura and spec e30. I am looking to build a good reliable motor that makes decent power. This wont be a full on build but more of a fun car that I will do an IT race with occasionaly and maybe a couple of vintage events. Cost is certainly a factor, not sure if I will go .040 over or not. curious what guys are doing these days.......

PM sent on brown.

You really need a wood block in your timing chain. Key to huge power!
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

thanks for the replies! stock pistons its looking like. any recomendations for rings? good source for bearings?

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    You really need a wood block in your timing chain. Key to huge power!
    No, he didn't

That sounds like something I would do/have done. Hey Ron, send me a pm with the same info. Here lately I just buy another race car for the engine and diff I still need to rebuild the first engine.......

Andrew, MSA, Lynchburg Nissan, Black Dragon can all get the parts you will need. I would check with Riley at Lynchburg for OEM stuff as long as you are not going .040 over it shouldn't be too pricey. Riley 1-800-443-2117
    Paul
    Last edited by pballance; 09-27-2010 at 08:11 AM.
    Paul Ballance
    Tennessee Valley Region (yeah it's in Alabama)
    ITS '72
    1972 240Z
    "Experience is what you get when you're expecting something else." unknown

Thanks for the info, whats the deal with NISMO these days? Is it still hit or miss on pricing? I can remember some stuff being cheap and other items being overpriced....

Do not bore the block without a torque plate. I measured a block that had been bored with one, and when I checked the sizes, they were off by a lot. I mean in one direction I had a couple tenths of a thousanth, and in the other there was way too much. And this engine was done by a very good builder. So I put my torque plate on it and remeasured. Dead on both ways! Ron, Steve Parish, and David Spillman have all used mine, as well as a local 280ZX Turbo drag racer. It is the only way to go.
    Mike