Thread: Runoffs on or near the Best Coast....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tim,

I have not driven Miller, but there are a lot of tracks with limited elevation that are considered challenging. I hear Miller is quite fast and fun to drive. If you have driven Miller what are your thoughts?

Sebring
    Daytona
    Silverstone
    Monza
    Portland
    All have limited elevation change. I think Miller is 33' top to bottom. Thunderhill can't be much more(not listed on website) I wouldn't guess over 70' on the 2 hills

VIR !!!!!!! Miller is one of the best tracks you will ever visit for a team, and the worst for drivers and good racing. Most passes include a nudge and because it has no real passing zones except the front straight. Waste of good pavement and another Alan Wilson style FU.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

Watkins Glen - rated as one of the most historic, challenging and entertaining places to race. Plenty of room to host the Runoffs and lots of cool stuff to do off the track.

My suggestion is that it rotates across a few courses in this list - VIR, WG, Mid-Ohio, Road Atlanta, Road America and pick one of the west coast tracks and a soutwest track. Don't know which is the best. Being a Yankee I still have to acknowledge that the west coast gets a unfair deal on the track location for the Runoffs.
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

Pure economics Ben, look at a map of licensed drivers and you see where the center is. Very East coast dominated. They can not loose them and make it pay regardless of the politics.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

You're right Steve. Pure economics shouldn't be denied but somehow our club seems to do that. Great example is this weekend at the NARRC runoffs. No willingness to allow IT drivers to double dip in the STU race at a discount. Full price only. Pure foolishness to push away revenue with no additional operating costs...

If we did rotate the Runoffs we'd have one west coast track say every 4-5 years....but maybe I'm being too altruistic.

Make it the Glen!
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

Quote Originally Posted by seckerich View Post
    Pure economics Ben, look at a map of licensed drivers and you see where the center is. Very East coast dominated. They can not loose them and make it pay regardless of the politics.
    Meanwhile, racers out here will increasingly race with NASA because they will put their championship at Miller. Maybe CalClub should split off of the SCCA and become its own sanctioning body again.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

NASA Nationals at Miller really hurt their growth. Too far from everywhere. If you want the runoffs on the west coast then do them there. Do it where you can get a date.

Otherwise plan to travel.

Here's the bottom line. There are few tracks in the country that can accomidate the number of rigs and race cars that the runoffs requires. I doubt WG can. ViR is borderline. Daytona can. MidOhio perhaps.

Its also true that dates are very hard to get. The better tracks are full now. They are not going to upset their regular customer schedule and jump thru the hoops required to host an event like the runoffs for just one year. They want an extended deal.
    If you want to rotate it, it needs to be part of the contracted plan. 3 years here. Then 3 years at venue #2 and then 3 year back and venue #1. All in the same contract.

Rob Bodle
    Rob Bodle Images, LLC
    RBI Competition

2007 ARRC Three hour "not a real" Enduro ITO Co-Champion.
    2009 ARRC ITO Champion.
    2009 ARRC Enduro Pole Winner
    2010 ARRC ITO Champion(car owner for Cliff Brown)
    2011 ARRC ITO Champion