Thread: Pit stop timing??

Default Pit stop timing??

As I again run more pit stop races, I see some are timed for 5 min between the pit end cones. And some are timed from the transponder hits.
    The transponder only timing, leads me to believe that the pit stop can be one lap plus the 5 min total time. IE @ Sebring short course , our target lap time is 1:30, plus the 5 min leads me to think that I can stop for about 4:30, add the 1:30, take a slow in lap for a total TX hit time of 6:30. Spot on the 5 min plus the one lap.
    Is that how it is done for SCCA enduros?
    Does anyone actually time the cars cone to cone?? Or does it go back to the TX hits?? Thanks. MM
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

Different events have different rules, so check the supps.

The ECR series requires a five minute stop, as in five minutes stopped in the pit stall. It is checked primarily through the transponder - at least one lap must be at least five minutes longer than the best lap plus the time it takes to travel the pit lane at the speed limit. This season they have spot checked at least one car to verify the actual five minutes in the pit space however.

Thanks,
    That turns the stop into the total of the pit in lap, stop, and pit out lap. Thats what I am seeing . the actual stop needs to be about 4- 4:20. depending on pit road speed,pit lenght etc.
    At the last race we were hand timed due to TX failure, and the timer said that we had very long stops. We were waiting on pit road for about 1 min after fueling, amd rolling through the cones at 5:02.
    Wont happen again.
    You cant do it both ways. You either have to time the cars cone to cone or off the TX. There is about a lap difference between the methods. @ 1:30. lap times. IMHO.
    Last edited by Flyinglizard; 09-21-2010 at 09:00 AM.
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

The transponder system registers as you cross the line on pit lane also. When using the transponder method (in ECR's anyway) only one lap is included in the calculation - it varies by track depending on the transponder line, so it could be the pit-in lap, or the pit-out lap, but not both. Try a 4 minute pit stop in an ECR and you will be penalized. Your race may be different though, so check the supps.

Default Pit stop timing

After the race is over, the ECR Steward checks the scoring cards for each car, one (1) lap must be slower than the fastest lap plus five minutes plus the posted pit transit time. The pit transit time varies, at PBIR it is :13 seconds so if you are running consistent 1:40 laps and your fastest lap is 1:39, then you must have one lap that is equal to 1:39 plus 5 minutes plus :13 seconds, or 6 minutes and :52 seconds (6:52)

Thanks for the official reply. That is how I expected it to be scored. The Tx is the only fair way of keeping track of stops. That goes along with the actual results and the 4:30 stops coming out about the right total time. MM

Default "official reply"

That is the way ECR has been doing it for some time and it works pretty good. BTW, that was not an "OFFICIAL REPLY", I am no longer the ECR Chief Steward, south, (or official anything else for that matter), that would be "Captain" John Anderson, but those are the rules and I just thought I would pass them along.

Krys