Thread: E36 Head Bolt Tool

Default E36 Head Bolt Tool

I'm trying to pull the head off my E36. The thing is that the previous owner replaced the BMW head bolts with ARP studs. Instead of being able to use the BMW head bolt tool or a torx head socket, I now need a 12 point 1/2 inch metric equivalent. I believe it's 12mm or 14mm. The catch is that it has to be deep and thin. I can find deep, but I can not find thin walled. It has to fit into the headbolt journals under the cam. Taking the cam out does not help. I've checked all the auto parts stores including Sears, Snap On, MAC, Stanley, and their suppliers. I have an old 1/2inch that fits but is too worn to get enough grip to apply that kind of torque. I've been looking for months. The previous owner was of no help either.

Default E 36 head nuts (ARP)

Here at TLM we use a regular Craftsman 1/2 inch by 1/2 drive deep socket( p/n47521) when working on our championship winning BMW 325i. You must. However. remove the camshaft and lower cam support/lifter carrier to gain access.
    Any further questions, don't hesitate to ask.

David Leira
    AKA ECR
    El Cubano Rapido

I did not have any problems getting to the journals it was that none of the sockets would fit into the journals. I will try that socket. Also, any recommendations for re-timing? Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. black View Post
    any recommendations for re-timing?
    Use the factory cam alignment tool