Thread: RIP Brian Holtz

Unhappy RIP Brian Holtz

I have just learned that Brian Holtz, a long-time IT racer, steward, and exec passed away from pancreatic cancer.

I saw Brian briefly at the MARRS Labor Day Double but had little chance to talk to him. Although I know he was not well, I didn't expect this. Brian's always been nothing but kind to me and a mentor of sorts in trying to navigate the bureaucracy that is the SCCA.

To my knowledge, arrangements have not yet been made. Since I'm heading up to for the Runoffs in a few days, I'll post as soon as I find out, but if you know about them and don't see it here, please post for me.

May he rest in peace.
    Gregg Ginsberg
    '96 Civic EX -- MARRS ITA #72
    WDCR-SCCA Rookie of the Year 2003
    MARRS ITA/T3 Drivers rep

I'm shocked! I talked to Brian at the NJMP 12 Hour, and he looked fine! Well, maybe a little tired, but hell we're all getting older...

Holy moly...

Wow, sad news indeed. Brian did me a huge favor several years ago and came out to my house and tech'd my car for me. I wanted to thank him, so we went out to dinner. Had a great meal and some good conversation about the SCCA. He will be missed by many.

Cancer sucks.
    Drive fast and live a lot now.
    RIP Brian.
    Stephanie Funk
    <Couple of NARRC and NERRC bragging things here>
    HP Honda CRX in progress, ITB Honda Civic, ITA Honda CRX, ITC Honda CRX
    "Green Booger Racing"

Evanthe Salisbury, the DC Region's RE has posted the following to our website:

It is with a very heavy heart that I inform WDCR’s membership that Lifetime Region member Brian Holtz passed away on Monday, September 13, 2010, from pancreatic cancer.

Brian wore many hats within the SCCA’s organization. This is just a few of the ones I could think of...

• Chairman of the SCCA Pro Racing Board
    • Area 2 Director (WDCR is part of Area 2)
    • National Chief Steward
    • Member of the Club Racing Board

He was also a Lifetime Philadelphia Region member as well as a member of the South Jersey Region.

And I know that I’m not even scratching the surface of all of the things that Brian has done/been for SCCA National, SCCA Pro Racing, the Northeast Division, and all of the people he touched in his lifetime.

He was a great leader, mentor and most of all, a friend. He will be sorely missed. May he rest in peace and his memory be eternal.

I will post more formal/official information as I receive it (at http://www.wdcr-scca.org).

-Evanthe

Our thoughts and prayers For Brian's Family. Always had good time/fun with Brian. We shall miss him. Tom Weaver and Crew
    Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1986 RX-7 ITS #63. "Diesel Haulin' Rotary" 2005 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab The Hemi has retired "Long Live the Hemi" Bill Weaver Driver- 2004 NYSRRC John Chave Award. 2006 & 2013 ITS NYSRRC Champion!. Truck Driver Named Glen Region Worker of the Year 2008.Located 45 miles southeast of Watkins Glen in Sayre PA.

Default Brian's Obituary

Brian Holtz
    September 13, 2010

Service Times
    Calling hours 11 AM-1 PM
    Funeral Service at 1 PM

Service Place
    Long Funeral Home
    Cemetery
    Bethlehem Memorial Park Cemetery

Click Image for Larger View

Brian E. Holtz

Brian E. Holtz, 55, of Bethlehem, passed away Monday, September 13, 2010 in Lehigh Valley Hospital-Muhlenberg. He and his wife Ellen F. (Fogg) Holtz were married for 25 years in February.
    Born in Bethesda, MD, he was the son of Barbara (Stone) Holtz of Potomac, MD and the late John “Jack” Holtz. Brian was a graduate of Villanova University. He was a Mechanical Engineer and Project Manager at Air Products and was proud of his work for the past 31 years. Brian raced a Mazda RX-3 for 15 years. He was a member of the Sports Car Club of America since 1975 and served as a former Philadelphia Region Executive, Race Steward and Tech Chief. Brian was also a member of the SCCA Board of Directors for two terms, Competition Committee, past president of the Northeast Division and Chairman of the Pro Racing Board.
    Survivors: wife; mother; son, Joseph B. Holtz and his wife Kimberly of Horsham; sisters, Jane Holtz Cranska and her husband Allen of Glenwood, MD, and Karen Muttimer and her husband Paul of Ashburn, VA.
    Services: Calling hours will be Thursday, Sept. 16, from 11 AM until 1 PM with funeral services to follow at 1 PM in the Long Funeral Home, 500 Linden St, Bethlehem. Online condolences may be made at www.longfuneralhome.com
    Contributions: Autism Society, 4340 East-West Highway, Suite 350, Bethesda, MD 20814 or American Diabetes Association, PO Box 11454, Alexandria, VA 22312.

View All Obituaries
    Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1986 RX-7 ITS #63. "Diesel Haulin' Rotary" 2005 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab The Hemi has retired "Long Live the Hemi" Bill Weaver Driver- 2004 NYSRRC John Chave Award. 2006 & 2013 ITS NYSRRC Champion!. Truck Driver Named Glen Region Worker of the Year 2008.Located 45 miles southeast of Watkins Glen in Sayre PA.

Very sad. RIP Brian.
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC
    http://www.isaacdirect.com

He will be sorely missed. I can't describe how I felt when I got the email about this.
    Matt Green

ITAC Member- 2012-??
    Tire Shaver at TreadZone- www.treadzone.com
    #96 Dodge Shelby Charger ITB- Mine, mine, all mine!
    I was around when they actually improved Improved Touring! (and now I'm trying not to mess it up!)

Default Brian and IT History

If my understanding of IT history is correct, every member of the IT community has Brian Holtz to thank for creating the racing we enjoy. When I started racing Showroom Stock in 1990 and continued in IT the next six years, sharing the track with Brian as he piloted his beloved RX-3 at tracks up and down the East Coast, it was my understanding that he created the IT classes, rules, and more importantly the intent to create an affordable place for people to enjoy racing and compete in an environment where cubic dollars did not dictate results. That intent has carried over to other classes sharing the same philosophy such as SM, arguably AS, etc. Perhaps my understanding is not fully correct --- it was the IT community at that time who called Brian the father of IT, not Brian himself because he was too modest to do so. Regardless, if not the father of IT, he was a powerful part of its creation and success. Think about the impact that has had on the racing landscape we are part of today. He was a heck of a driver in his day --- top of the pack in ITA with the RX-3 in his prime. As a steward, he looked after the drivers and quality of the competition as only a top-notch driver can. And as an official at the national and pro level, he was one of the people shaping the world we enjoy. But you'd never know all of that seeing him at the track unless someone told you just how much he contributed to racing. At the track he was just Brian, with a big smile, doing his job, stopping to enjoy a moment with all his pals, listening to the concerns of drivers. Godspeed Brian, and may all those who enjoy IT racing today take a moment to honor a man whose thought-leadership and love of racing made IT possible and made it thrive. I hope there are some missing-man formation laps at IT races coming up to pay tribute to a guy who gave so much to us. Humbly, Tom

First I want to wish my condolences to all that knew Brian.

But, he's not the father of IT although he may have been an early adoptor of the class on the East coast. Please see below:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi all,

In ’79 I proposed the class to SDR’s Board as a regional only class. After making me a board member, then listing to my dribble on the strengths of the class, they bought “IT”.

The first race was at SDR’s “Holtville Winter Series” of 1980-81. I’ve have to go back to my old records to make sure. Vern’s part in it was he was on the board and helped me walk it thru the process of getting accepted. For a year or two we were the only region to have the class. SFRegion took it next. Cal Club’s powers at the time did not like the class. IT reminded them too much of Production Class. Cal Club’s Jerry Barker did not like the class. I’ll never forget him holding my, get this, two page it rule book, and the multi page Prod. rule book. He was forcefully telling me that “in a few years this little class will require a rule book as big as this". Yeah, Jerry you were correct. Finally they accepted the class about 1983 or ‘84. I think the best part was being a supporting race to IMSA 6 hour enduro weekend in 1986. We had 78 cars for a ½ hour race to IMSA's 68 cars for their 6hr race.

Steve Coe

“Mr. IT” as some call me.

------------------------------------------------------------------
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

I probably learned more about how SCCA gets things done from Brian that any other single person in the club. Being from New England and he being from DC we only met at events occasionally but during the times that I was involved in region management we met at all the divisional meetings. He and Terry H, used to always share a room and joke that they had a special low occupancy deal in that they spent little time in the room. We always closed the bar and that time was spent with Brian educating myself and some others about history, vision and the right way forward. I traded a lot of sleep for that opportunity.

Brian never lost sight of the big picture, never forgot what we were trying to accomplish as many of us can do when overwhelmed with minutia.

I do not know much of his promotion on IT in DC in the early days but I will say that his time on the CRB under Kurt W. and then as chairman were key in IT becoming the class that we all enjoy now. He served at a very important time for IT and his contribution cannot be overstated.

I went to the Pocono National and Brian was there and I got to spend an hour or so with him discussing wide-ranging topics about the club and how we got to where we are today. I am so grateful I had that one last opportunity.

I have lost a friend, a resource and a no bullshit role model.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Ten days ago, Brian was at the Summit Double MARRS chatting with his buddies as he always did. I thought he had more time. RIP Brian.

Wow this is truly a real loss. Brian was one of the most decent guys I met within the club, always fair and always willing to crack a smirk. I always looked forward to chatting with him, and he always seemed to make time.