Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Diesel in IT

The TDI Cup race cars are the "BRM" motor (2005/2006 model) 2 valve 1.9L 100hp/176tq with the DSG transmission.

The 2010 TDI Cup package cars are the common rail "CBEA/CJAA" motor 4 valve 2.0L 140hp/236tq with a choice of 6sp manual or the DSG. From what I have read (have not driven one, DD a 2005.5 TDI), all that torque makes for a great and fun driving car.
    There has been numerous reports of the high pressure fuel pump failing and sending metal parts through the fuel injection system, requires replacement of the entire system $10K (yes $10K). These common rail motors require something like 26000 PSI
    to run.

When I had my '72 911 with the mechanical fuel injection (Bosch diesel pump modified for gas), and it put out 360 PSI, I thought that was a lot.
    Todd Cohen

I am confused...we talking about the street or track version? Track version is 170hp...

http://www.vwforum.com/forums/f11/in...r-specs-37381/
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

Track version has an aftermarket ECU to increase power and improve the shifting of the DSG (and it has R8 rear brake in front and Michelin Cup race tires, as well as improved suspension). Not directly comparable to the street car.

Todd, we just bought a 2010 Jetta Sportwagen diesel for my wife. VERY fun car to drive, lots of good torque. I could see replacing my S4 with a Golf TDI. But now I'm getting worried about these HPFP failures...

GA

I stand corrected. Thought the racing Cup cars were based on the 2005/2006 model cars since VW did not import TDI's in 2007/2008.
    Todd Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Todd, we just bought a 2010 Jetta Sportwagen diesel for my wife. VERY fun car to drive, lots of good torque. I could see replacing my S4 with a Golf TDI. But now I'm getting worried about these HPFP failures...

GA
    You probably know about http://forums.tdiclub.com/ I used this forum to repair my TDI (trans replacement, timing belt, and cam/lifter replacement). I have only had it on the road for about 4 weeks, love the mileage, miss the RPMS (4500 redline).
    Looking forward to using it for the Runoff's road trip next week.
    Todd Cohen

Starting price, high $20k's, if you can find one. Then you get to add race prep to it on top of that...
    You have a link to that car or any more info? Sounds really cool. Might put up with constant CEL's for a rare and weird bird.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

The street car? Google "Jetta TDI Cup Edition". Neat car.

Quote Originally Posted by tac911t View Post
    You probably know about http://forums.tdiclub.com/ I used this forum to repair my TDI (trans replacement, timing belt, and cam/lifter replacement). I have only had it on the road for about 4 weeks, love the mileage, miss the RPMS (4500 redline).
    Looking forward to using it for the Runoff's road trip next week.
    Damn! now the internet fixes cars too? What will they think of next? I hope the internet isn't working on race cars yet, or I'm gonna have to find myself a new job!!

I have a 2001 ALH, love it to death! 120 mile a day commute and I almost look forward to it. . .

The street car? Google "Jetta TDI Cup Edition". Neat car.
    Nice.

http://www.vw.com/specialeditions/jettatdi/en/us/
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Quote Originally Posted by Conover View Post
    Damn! now the internet fixes cars too? What will they think of next? I hope the internet isn't working on race cars yet, or I'm gonna have to find myself a new job!!

I have a 2001 ALH, love it to death! 120 mile a day commute and I almost look forward to it. . .

The Internet also classifies cars, argues about washer bottles, and picks apart used race cars.
    Todd Cohen