Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Qualifying Grid Order

Default Qualifying Grid Order

Having run a couple of MARRS races, I really like how they handle the grid for qualifying. None of this line up along the fence four sessions before yours crap. Especially for tracks such as LRP where these cars get in the way, why allow it? Regardless of when you get to grid, your starting number could be predetermined. It could be something as simple as a random order.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

I get the value of "random draw" but stop short of any system that "seeds" qualifying by points or whatever. That will be inherently biased toward those who are having success, locals over visitors, etc.. The perfect example is the 'fest where if you get behind in the first short qualifying session (been there, hated it), you are behind the 8-ball for the entire weekend.

K

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    I get the value of "random draw" but stop short of any system that "seeds" qualifying by points or whatever. That will be inherently biased toward those who are having success, locals over visitors, etc.. The perfect example is the 'fest where if you get behind in the first short qualifying session (been there, hated it), you are behind the 8-ball for the entire weekend.

K
    reverse points?
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

Must be a problem unique to LRP and Summit. I race at tracks where when its your time to go P&Q you proceed to the grid and its first come, first served.

Never any problems.

The problem I saw at IT Fest was cars who wanted to spend the first 5 minutes of the session warming tires lining up first and blocking the track for those of us who want to get an extra lap or two in before time runs out.

I won't make that mistake again.
    Jim Hardesty
    ITC 1986 Honda Civic Diablo Rojo Verde
    Never argue your tab at the end of the night. Remember, you're hammered and they’re sober.

Well, I can't say that there are time I go out slow and encourage others behind me to do that as well. Once a gap is opened up, take advantage of not having traffic in front of us. One or two laps to warm the tires up, two hot laps, then that should be about all one needs if not caught up in traffic.

I did like going out in the lead ITB pack for qualifying and made things much easier in a large field. Large fields at LRP, quite a short track, takes a little more work to get clean laps.
    Dave Gran

I have been in favor of this for a long time... LRP in my opinion is a safety concern for the club because of the traffic jams near grid! Safety vehicle's already have a hard time getting through. I have suggested for quite a while that the first session of the weekend is based on entry list then every session after that is done by the previous sessions time... (this is how the national runnoffs are done). The argument I get is that some people still mail in entries and it wouldn't be fair to them...

That's my idea for ya!
    Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post

K
    You're right Kirk, the system does give an advantage to the locals and the sucessful.

That being said, when I started racing there last year I was initially gridded in the P45 - P53 range. I wasn't successful and I was not a local. It took effort and racecraft to work my way up towards the pointy end of the field (as if being stuck in the middle of a SSM field is not incentive enough to improve). I recognized early on that getting a single flyer in the Saturday AM qulifying session made a huge difference in the weekend, and failing that, abandoning the Saturday PM race to get one became key.
    Hero To The Momentum Challenged

...which is all well and good if the primary concern defines "success" in terms of season points. For some folks, "success" is determined by individual race success. I guess my point is that policy decisions by the Region are not philosophy-free, and that such decisions must be made recognizing that reality.

K

Grid by car number, but you won't know until you get there if the grid workers flipped the coin to go in order or reverse order, and by then its a wee bit too late to do anything about it.

Then those with 50 for a car number are always screwed.
    And, eventually, only newbies will have any number but 1 or 99...
    Not that teh current system is "fair"...the number of cars I see lined up with "crews" babysitting them is humorous. Esp when the crew on car #1 goes to the bathroom and THAT's when they open grid. So much for the fist car out, LOL.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

At the MARRS races, they line up cars by season points. It's not the best for people coming from out of towm, but it makes sense. That way, it isn't a clusterbang of the fast guys in the middle scrambling up, or slowing down to get a clean lap. For the out of town-ers that start at back, it's an opportunity to give some space, lay down 1 or 2 fast laps, then start passing people to learn how the peope on track handle being passed by faster cars, and get used to running with everybody. Once fast out of town guys start getting points, it becomes tough b/c they start in the middle all around slower people, not the greatest situation for Qual, but their fast lap in Sat Race overrides their Sat Qual lap if the race lap is faster.

I've never had a problem with it, but I'm a regular.
    Steven
    Last edited by Steven McWilliams Jr; 09-09-2010 at 08:24 PM.

Actually, Steve, it's up to the MARRS drivers reps to determine the grid order for the 1st qualifying session. Some run groups go by points, some go by finishing order from the previous race, some go by random draw. It can also vary from weekend to weekend. And since most run groups encompass multiple classes, you will find that sometimes those classes are intertwined and sometimes they're not.

I can tell you that your run group has not gone by where you stand in the MARRS points race since I have been drivers rep.

In the case of this weekend, when many of the groups were over 40 cars and the 1st cars off the grid were coming onto the front straight while cars were still leaving the grid, I don't know how much of an advantage anyone really had.
    Last edited by Gregg; 09-09-2010 at 09:33 PM.
    Gregg Ginsberg
    '96 Civic EX -- MARRS ITA #72
    WDCR-SCCA Rookie of the Year 2003
    MARRS ITA/T3 Drivers rep

I like the idea of having the order based on registrations recieved order. It will help the event organizers plan by people not waiting until the last minute to register.

Raymond
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steven McWilliams Jr View Post
    . For the out of town-ers that start at back, it's an opportunity to give some space, lay down 1 or 2 fast laps, then start passing people to learn how the peope on track handle being passed by faster cars, and get used to running with everybody.
    Steven
    I think passing people would be getting in the way...Last year at Summit I tried to get a couple clean laps right off the grid by hanging back, then tried to ease through traffic while not getting in anyones way, and when I got a clear spot, I threw a couple of fast ones down and was done. If I had been a regular, I think it would have been two and done....
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

I'm one of those that likes to get to grid early. I feel it's important especially at short tracks like LRP and NHMS to be one of the first ones out there. I would rather take a few extra minutes on the first 2/3 of the first lap and then go for it. It makes no sense to me to go into the second lap when your tires arent heated up. It's a wasted lap.

I also feel if you can keep the slow on the first lap, it gives all the cars a chance to get out of the pits before the first cars are coming by. I think it spreads the cars out better than everyone going out "full" speed from the first turn.

The first time I went to the ARRC the lead cars went very slow and did LOTS of weaving to keep everyone in line. I was like "WTF!!!???" But now I understand.
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    In the case of this weekend, when many of the groups were over 40 cars and the 1st cars off the grid were coming onto the front straight while cars were still leaving the grid, I don't know how much of an advantage anyone really had.
    It was a cluster in SSM on Saturday morning with nearly 50 cars on track. Standard procedure is for the leader to take a very slow out lap to the esses and then pick up the pace. The pack is supposed to stay together tightly, with no gaps. This is supposed to allow for the grid to empty and for at least one or two laps before the front of the pack starts catching lappers. It's worked well for the two seasons I've been racing there.

What happened was that a large number of cars hung around outside of False Grid prior to the session and did not enter the grid until well after the leaders left. The lead/pace car followed procedure, and we (I was gridded 10th or so) came around T10 to find cars still leaving the False Grid and other cars further along on a green track moving at reduced pace. Furthermore, in the middle of the pack many cars were leaving large gaps, thus further stringing out the grid. The resulting clusterfuck of fast cars following procedure resulted in carnage with several cars hurt.

In our driver's meeting we (again) reviewed the proper way to handle things and that did not repeat for the rest of the weekend. The Supps cover SM/SSM qualifying, but perhaps not in the detail required. I *think* that much of the problem could have been avoided if there was some way of communicating what regular procedure is supposed to be to the people who do not run there regularly.
    Hero To The Momentum Challenged

in the middle of the pack many cars were leaving large gaps, thus further stringing out the grid.
    Rob, if I were leaving grid and there might be some slower cars in front of me, I'd absolutely create a gap between me and the next car. If faster cars came up, I'd get out of their way. What you're saying works great for the cars up front but not so much for the cars that went out mid pack.

I think it gets pretty stupid when people are allowed to line up so early, often get in the way in the paddock, and for those who perceive there to be an advantage of going out first - "unfairly" get it. How early should cars be allowed to line up?

On the way home from Summit Point, I dropped my car off right next to the grid entrance to be sure this time I'm first in line for the race in a few weeks.
    Dave Gran

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    I think it gets pretty stupid when people are allowed to line up so early, often get in the way in the paddock, and for those who perceive there to be an advantage of going out first - "unfairly" get it. How early should cars be allowed to line up?
    Wearing my steward hat, I am agnostic on the method used to pre-assign qualifying grid positions. Whatever method you choose, someone will likely feel disadvantaged.

However, most any method of pre-assignment is better than the chaos which can be caused by pre-gridding in the roadway. I have seen cars unable to reach the grid for their session because the road is blocked by cars pre-gridding for the next session.

Quote Originally Posted by JLawton View Post
    ...snip...The first time I went to the ARRC the lead cars went very slow and did LOTS of weaving to keep everyone in line. I was like "WTF!!!???" But now I understand.
    I hope you don't think they did it out of the goodness of their heart to make sure everyone got a maximum number of good clean laps. They did it to maximize their own clean laps.

This is just like split race starts, everyone worries about the effect on the 3 fastest cars in the 1 fastest class. I'm just not interested in trading in one of my good laps just because someone else in a fast class thinks they deserve more clean laps than everyone else. Everyone deserves the same opportunity, not just the "leaders".
    Jim Hardesty
    ITC 1986 Honda Civic Diablo Rojo Verde
    Never argue your tab at the end of the night. Remember, you're hammered and they’re sober.