Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lime Rock events

Default Lime Rock events

Do many drivers have a problem attending events that would require being there on Friday?
    Given notice and a good event would you schedule it and plan ahead?

I've been told that if qualifying on Friday was required many drivers would not attend.
    Jerry
    NER South

I'm in a lucky situation where I get a ton of vacation time and don't live too far from LRP. So I would be OK with it but I think I'll be in the minority.
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Thanks to my ever-lousy work schedule, I haven't been able to fit LRP in for years. And I haven't taken vacation time for it due to the expense and one race format that we usually have there.
    I could be persueded to try it again given the right circumstances though....what do you have in mind Jerry?
    Stephanie Funk
    <Couple of NARRC and NERRC bragging things here>
    HP Honda CRX in progress, ITB Honda Civic, ITA Honda CRX, ITC Honda CRX
    "Green Booger Racing"

I won't say that it doesn't frustrate me to take a day off just for qualifying. If there are only a couple of LRP events per year, I'm not sure it would totally prevent me from going but would make me think twice. I'd prefer a Sat. only, short qual session (15 min total), then a race. If the region needs to purchase both Fri & Sat, maybe make Fri a
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Being that there is no racing allowed on sundays, it does make sense to race on friday as well. However, if we race 2 days, i feel there really should be double regionals like we get at other tracks. The entry fees at lrp aren't cheap and in return we get 1 race and have to miss a day of work.

On the other side of the argument, I'd rather be at the racetrack than at work.
    Drew

LRP is a two day rental, no racing on Friday.
    Jerry
    NER South

Quote Originally Posted by ner88 View Post
    I've been told that if qualifying on Friday was required many drivers would not attend.
    Quote Originally Posted by ner88 View Post
    LRP is a two day rental, no racing on Friday.
    Racing as in no races and no qualifying? or are we assuming qualifying is not considered a race under lrp rules? or does the rental include sat/sun and not fri/sat?
    Drew

Quote Originally Posted by THawkbh View Post
    ...are we assuming qualifying is not considered a race under lrp rules?
    That is correct. To the local ordinances, qualifying is not "racing".

Jerry, I'm not sure where you're going with this or what you have in mind, but I suggest I'd continue to be willing to do a couple of LRP Friday events. However, like Jeff, I live within commuting distance so I don't have to take Thursday off to travel nor do I have to find local accommodations (I live 1:15 away and commute home). Were I three hours away (such as I am for NHMS) I'd be less inclined. Ain't sayin' I'd do zero, I'd just be less motivated.

If we were to find a way to cram in a Regional into Saturday only, *and* find a way to generate revenue from Friday to reduce the entry costs for that one-day race (e.g., open HPDE or some such, which I hear are still in high demand with various car clubs) then I'd be inclined to do more LRP events.

LRP is a tough nut to crack; it's very high cost (both in cash flow and calendar inconvenience) and thus lower value. Personally, I find the Sat/Sun NHMS weekends (add Friday test for only another ~$150) to be a better value for the dollar and time than the Fri/Sat LRP, despite being a longer tow and requiring a hotel. But one can easily argue LRP is a better racetrack.

GA

I'd prefer a single day event. But, two days would not stop me from going.
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

Jerry,

Fridays are no problem for me and the people who run with Flatout.

How about this set up:

Friday qualifying race for Sat Points race. Grid for QR set by random draw. Grid for Sat points race set by finishing position from QR. Full 25 lap QR...

Or 10 min qualifiers in the AM and 15 lap qualifying races (grid set by time) in the PM to set Sat grid by finishing position

Doable? Is a qualifying race a 'qualifier'?
    Last edited by Andy Bettencourt; 09-08-2010 at 11:04 AM.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Its a not a problem for us either. But we're lucky to only live 30 minutes from the track.
    Ryan Hall

Just Boss It
    #03 Mini Cooper B-Spec
    Indian Summer Racing/Advanced Monograms
    SolidSkills.Net

What is the maximum number of cars you can have on track at one time? I used to know but have long forgotten.

What is your participation level in classes that where the majority of cars run Nationals rather than Regionals (GT1....)?

What is the possibility of running a restricted regional, with a smaller number of run groups and more seat time?

What are the shortest and longest that drivers will tow for LRP events?

Can you run two sanctions on the same day - Friday practice/qual for both races and then two restricted regionals on Saturday (AM & PM)?

Just trying to think outside of the box and come up with something workable.

PS, I was around and working events when the locals tried to shut down the track in what '67, '68? I feel your pain. One of my goals is to run a race at LRP before I hang up the helmet, but it's a long tow from Ohio for a one day event.
    Last edited by RacerBill; 09-08-2010 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Added tow distance question
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

if it were possible, i'd say 2 qual sessions on friday, and then 2 races saturday. a double regional in 2 days and no 'racing' on friday.

or i like what was done with the schools out regional. a qual session with a race that was essentially broken into 2 sessions.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    Friday qualifying race for Sat Points race...Is a qualifying race a 'qualifier'?
    No racing on Friday, dood.

"Racing" means people competing for on-track finishing order. When you're "qualifying" you're theoretically driving alone against the clock and your finishing order on the track is ear-elephant. Theoretically.

Though, we've all met folks that think otherwise... <rolleyes>

Quote Originally Posted by RacerBill View Post
    What is the maximum number of cars you can have on track at one time? I used to know but have long forgotten.
    38. (25 / mile)

Can go 10% over that with a waiver from the division's Exec. Steward, so the real answer is 41.8, but nobody likes getting their car sawed up.
    Last edited by JohnRW; 09-08-2010 at 01:59 PM.

Jerry and the region have no control over the town ordinance(which has been no racing on Sundays since 1957) or the track cost. I'm sure Skip Barber would gladly bump us and make room for a NASA or SCDA track day(or any of the car clubs). If you live in New England, only Loudon or LRP make any sense for travel to a regional race(2.5 hrs to either track from Southern VT). The Glen is just too far for some of us on a regular basis.

So while they Friday/sat setup may not be ideal it's better than nothing IMHO. However, having a tech inspection Thursday evening is tough to make.

If Greg is correct, then I say two qualifier on Friday for a double on Saturday.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Friday is no problem for me. Lime Rock is such a better track I'd say that even if I was 3 hours away.

Ideally, I'd want the format to be:

Friday AM practice, PM qualify race. (If you can come up with a system that beats a loophole, like: Your finishing position plus your lap time ranking = your starting position,* then GREAT! ) More races even if shorter are preferred.

Sat AM race, PM race. Screw the warm ups, or limit it to one open, one closed, first come first served or 'see the steward for your ticket, 38 cars of each get on, period"

* Bob wins race, runs a 1:02.5 (1)
    Tom is 2nd, runs a 1:02.1 (2)
    Tim is third 1ith a 1:03 (3)
    Steve is 4th with a 1:01.9 (4)

So, The time order is: Steve, points1), Tom(2), Bob(3) and Tim(4).

Steve has 5, Tom has 4, Bob has 4, and Tim has 7.

Grid:
    Tom (ties go to faster lap time, emphasizing the qualifying aspect)
    Bob
    Steve
    Tim

Shake it up. Could be fun. And that's easy spreadsheet math. I volunteer to come to T&S and input it all if needed.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

A few thoughts; The more driving and the better the value, the better.

One day events are LAME! I would do one cuz its LRP and boycott the rest! seriously tho...

I am in love with LRP, but I am poor so... whatever is the best value.

Quote Originally Posted by THawkbh View Post
    if it were possible, i'd say 2 qual sessions on friday, and then 2 races saturday. a double regional in 2 days and no 'racing' on friday.

or i like what was done with the schools out regional. a qual session with a race that was essentially broken into 2 sessions.
    Quote Originally Posted by RacerBill View Post

Can you run two sanctions on the same day - Friday practice/qual for both races and then two restricted regionals on Saturday (AM & PM)?

Just trying to think outside of the box and come up with something workable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    If Greg is correct, then I say two qualifier on Friday for a double on Saturday.

+1!!

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    Friday is no problem for me. Lime Rock is such a better track I'd say that even if I was 3 hours away.

Ideally, I'd want the format to be:

Friday AM practice, PM qualify race. (If you can come up with a system that beats a loophole, like: Your finishing position plus your lap time ranking = your starting position,* then GREAT! ) More races even if shorter are preferred.

Sat AM race, PM race. Screw the warm ups, or limit it to one open, one closed, first come first served or 'see the steward for your ticket, 38 cars of each get on, period"

* Bob wins race, runs a 1:02.5 (1)
    Tom is 2nd, runs a 1:02.1 (2)
    Tim is third 1ith a 1:03 (3)
    Steve is 4th with a 1:01.9 (4)

So, The time order is: Steve, points1), Tom(2), Bob(3) and Tim(4).

Steve has 5, Tom has 4, Bob has 4, and Tim has 7.

Grid:
    Tom (ties go to faster lap time, emphasizing the qualifying aspect)
    Bob
    Steve
    Tim

Shake it up. Could be fun. And that's easy spreadsheet math. I volunteer to come to T&S and input it all if needed.
    Sounds interesting...
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

If I simply want track time, I'll instruct at SCDA events or other HPDE clubs and pay no entry fee. If Fri qual is a must, then like Jake said no warm-ups and do two short sprints on Sat. The other idea is neat if that would slide.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing