Thread: Helmet regs - SA2000

Default Helmet regs - SA2000

Folks...
    There seem to be some decent deals on helmets as we speak from a variaety of sources and I am wondering if I should think about taking advantage of one... the key for me is that my existing helmet fits great and has never been wacked.

However, is the SA2000 likely to be regulated out by the end of this year?

If I will be good for next year, this point is mute... If I will need a SA2005 or SA2010, then I might be on a different path.

Anyone have any insights that I do not regarding this question?

Thanks!
    Brad
    Brad
    1995 Mazda Miata (aka Black Betty)

Brad the SA2000 should be okay for one more year.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Quote Originally Posted by dickita15 View Post
    Brad the SA2000 should be okay for one more year.
    I agree with Dick, but are you willing to spend $xxx dollars for potentially only one year of use, even if it's a "deal"? I'd personally recommend since your "existing helmet fits great and has never been wacked" you save your pennies for a good deal on a SA2005 next year when the 10s get more widespread, which will be good for AT LEAST 5 more years.

GA

Greg... I was looking at some good deals on a 2005 so would that have roughly scored me another 5 years? If I have another year on the 2000... oh hell yeah I will stay with it! Pennies are not as common as they once were

Dick... Is there a decision date to this end?

Thanks!
    BB
    Brad

Ah, never mind, I see what you mean; I read that you wanted to buy a SA2000 "on a deal"... I'd be OK with buying a new 2005 now, especially if there's some good deals.

Historically, SCCA writes into the GCR that the new and prior SA ratings are required (e.g., in this case, SA2010 and SA2005), but they give you a year's warning. The SA2010 rating was very late this year, and I've yet to see a requirement proposed for the GCR to accept 2010 and drop 2000.

Rumor has it (purely rumor) that there's rarely any significant changes in the construction of racing helmets these days, that the testing procedure is "freshened up" for the next 5-year cycle. Rumor also has it (purely rumor) that it's a way to get cheap-asses like us to replace our helmets on a regular basis. If rumors are to be believed, then you're not giving up any safety advantage by buying 2005 over this winter versus spending more for a 2010 next year.

Besides, I don't like keeping a helmet around for more than 5 years of regular use anyway. It's one of those "cheap insurance" kinda things.

GA

Greg has it right. The requirement will not change in 2011. In 2012, the requirement will be for 2005 or newer.

Dave

Got it... and thanks for the info. i am pretty keen and particular about safety stuff and adhere to the notion of "cheap insurance" but also feel there is the potential for purposeful outdating of equipment.
    Thanks!
    BB
    Brad

Should be some very good deals on 05 models at years end (after the 10(s) are released for sale by everyone).

I wouldn't buy a new 00 unless it was real real cheap!