Thread: 240SX brake lights always on

Default 240SX brake lights always on

Quick question for all you 240SX guys - I noticed Saturday as I was taking the car off the trailer that the brake lights are now always on. Since I was re-decking the trailer all day Sunday I didn't get a chance to look at it, and with a race weekend coming up I would prefer not to - can't really - spend a day trying to figure it out, so I am wondering if any of you have run into this problem before, and could give me an idea where to start checking.

I have no doubt I can figure it out, but like I said time will be of the essence - and I just learned I've lost even more prep time Saturday - so the faster I can knock this problem out the better my chances for getting to the track Sunday.

Thanks.
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

Brake pedal switch loose?
    Actually tail lights - running lights on?
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

Quote Originally Posted by erlrich View Post
    Quick question for all you 240SX guys - I noticed Saturday as I was taking the car off the trailer that the brake lights are now always on. Since I was re-decking the trailer all day Sunday I didn't get a chance to look at it, and with a race weekend coming up I would prefer not to - can't really - spend a day trying to figure it out, so I am wondering if any of you have run into this problem before, and could give me an idea where to start checking.

I have no doubt I can figure it out, but like I said time will be of the essence - and I just learned I've lost even more prep time Saturday - so the faster I can knock this problem out the better my chances for getting to the track Sunday.

Thanks.

This is in all likelihood a Nissan thing Earl. The brake light switch up under your dash on the pedal arm rests up against a little rubber pad when the brakes aren't depressed. Over time the rubber dries and breaks down, and when it eventually crumbles the switch has nothing to press against leaving the brakes lights on. It just happened in my Pathfinder 3 weeks ago, and I found a package of generic rubber bumpers in my local parts store that happened to have a rubber disc that fit. Otherwise I'm sure the Nissan parts desk will know and have what you need. I think most vehicles just have the brake switch rest up against solid metal, but Nissan went this route. Through the years I've had to replace the rubber pads in at least four different model Nissans to get my brakelights to shut off.
    Chris Carey

Central Florida Region
    ITS/Vintage Datsun 240Z

Favorite tool to remove undercoating---- A curb!

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."

Yup. Brake light switch is the likely culprit. I just put a bolt in the hole where the rubber stopper sat for the switch to press against. Easy test is to unplug the switch and see if they go out.

David
    ITA 240SX #17
    Atlanta Region

Thanks guys. The switch was #1 on my list of things to check; I didn't know about the little rubber pad though so I'm hoping that's the culprit.
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

Another Nissan owner who can vouch for that as the likely cause. It just happened to me a couple weeks ago on my Maxima. I, too, just put a bolt in the hole.
    Tom Lyttle
    Decatur, GA
    IT7 Mazda - 2006, 2008 SARRC Champion
    ITS Nissan 200SX - finally running correctly
    FP Ford Capri - waiting for a comp adjustment
    GT3 Dodge Daytona - what was I thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
    Yup. Brake light switch is the likely culprit. I just put a bolt in the hole where the rubber stopper sat for the switch to press against. Easy test is to unplug the switch and see if they go out.

David
    If you haven't bypassed your clutch safety switch, it's the same deal. I'm not gonna tell you who bought and installed a new starter in the parking lot of an Autozone 300 miles from home (at night), only to have to go back in and buy a $2 pack of rubber stoppers to replace the one that I found in pieces in the drivers footwell.....,