Thread: Best ignition for CIS basic

Default Best ignition for CIS basic

I'm not a VW guy, but ya'll are the CIS masters. Anyways I'm running CIS on my Volvo 240 and I would like to know what the hot ignition setups are for the CIS cars. My stock ignition is Bosch breakerless and is a decent system, but I'm currently looking at the MSD 6AL2 with the computer programmable curves. Any other systems I should consider?
    David Russell
    IT Volvo 242

I have not found improvements over the stock bosch stuff on any VW applications.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

I expected you were pursuing the B23 larger/higher compression/MAF sensored electronically injected 83-85 motor.
    What am I missing?
    Last edited by pfcs; 08-31-2010 at 10:20 PM.
    phil hunt

I agree with Chris...Bosch system is all you need. Recommend the blue coil, red coil if you can find one (more sparks/minute). Good set of wires and iridium spark plugs. Revs to 6700 without a miss.
    Dick Gagliardi
    LoopRacing Scirocco II
    H prod, Chicago Region SCCA

Quote Originally Posted by shwah View Post
    I have not found improvements over the stock bosch stuff on any VW applications.
    What systems did you try?

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs View Post
    I expected you were pursuing the B23 larger/higher compression/MAF sensored electronically injected 83-85 motor.
    What am I missing?
    Wrong expectation. Multiple reasons for sticking with the CIS. On the surface you are correct about the B23/230.

Quote Originally Posted by loopracing View Post
    I agree with Chris...Bosch system is all you need. Recommend the blue coil, red coil if you can find one (more sparks/minute). Good set of wires and iridium spark plugs. Revs to 6700 without a miss.
    Bosch Blue Coil is weaker than the stock coil. No can do. I have a Bosch Red Coil, good wires and Bosch silver plugs. Back in Sweden they run the Bosch Breakerless ignitions to upwards of 7500 rpm on stock engines.

My thought is that if I can get a programable ignition I can fine tune the advance curve to maximize power. It would be really nice to have an ignition with a MAP sensor so you can have a 3D ignition map that includes load (MSD 6AL2 P/N 6530). Probably only worth a few ponies, but that can be a lot in IT.
    Last edited by rsportvolvo; 09-01-2010 at 10:44 AM. Reason: added MSD 6AL2 info
    David Russell
    IT Volvo 242

Count me as another vote in favor of the stock Bosch stuff, at least on a VW.

Quote Originally Posted by loopracing View Post
    I agree with Chris...Bosch system is all you need. Recommend the blue coil, red coil if you can find one (more sparks/minute). Good set of wires and iridium spark plugs. Revs to 9000 without a miss.
    Updated based on experience with a high compression FP VW.

You can use a programmable ecu to alter the ignition timing with the stock ignition system...
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

Quote Originally Posted by shwah View Post
    Updated based on experience with a high compression FP VW.

You can use a programmable ecu to alter the ignition timing with the stock ignition system...
    What Bosch ignition system and what ECU? My Volvo has the Bosch TSZ type and there really aren't any adjustments or an ECU per se.
    Last edited by rsportvolvo; 09-07-2010 at 11:04 AM. Reason: grammar
    David Russell
    IT Volvo 242

Just control the coil from an aftermarket ecu, like megasquirt. You can retain the bosch ignition module to retain the original dwell values, or program the dwell into the ecu and remove it.

Our CIS-E system originally had a knock sensor control unit (controlled ignition) that communicated with the oxygen sensor control unig (the fuel computer). Initially we just removed the knock sensor control unit and ran fixed timing. Then came back and added programable control to tirgger the stock hardware.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd