Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MAP/MAF regulation question

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    and wires are (weak) resistors, as are several other types of conductive materials...let the brain run free...
    ^^ is more like it. you can use wire of whatever material, undersized, more or less conductive, resistance wire (a'la Nichrome), etc... per the rule, agreed.

but "resistors are wires"? that dog don't hunt.

Yeah, but I was thinking about the resistance of a coil-some call them springs!
    phil hunt

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs View Post
    Yeah, but I was thinking about the resistance of a coil-some call them springs!
    thats a no-no. meter must be unmodified.

Smile

"thats a no-no. meter must be unmodified."

That's why I wanted to know the literal rule. If the rule allowed changing the resistance of the sensors, I would argue that the adjustable spring that varies the resistance of the flapper to airflow would fall in that legal/specific category.
    Please don't confuse intent with grammar school English please.
    phil hunt

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs View Post
    That's why I wanted to know the literal rule.
    post #10 in this thread already covered it, it's GCR 9.1.3.D.1.C

stock air metering device "shall not be modified." if you change the coil spring or the closed torque from the stock setting, you have modified it. if you vary, short, add, etc... resistors or other passive electronics INSIDE THE METER, you have modified it. the intent, apparently, is that you can do whatever you want to the circuit so long as its done through the wiring OUTSIDE of the meter, or in the ECU, and that it is to remain mechanically as stock.

I gather that you want to have the thing in the airflow, unplugged and using a MAP like most of the modern ECUs can, and set the spring to have less resistance to limit the resistance to intake air flow. 1 - you can do that, but you must leave the meter internals alone, and 2 - removing that restriction to flow wouldn't make much difference (if any) anyhow, that's not really holding the motor back.

expect ~106rwhp if you build the motor to the 9's, aftermarket ECU, modified distributor internals and all that, in a fully legal IT build. it just wont make the numbers to hit class power to weight. it's a well known issue, unfortunately. we have 2 and another on the way, so I feel your pain. build it, legally. ask questions like this whenever the mood strikes you, make sure everyone knows what you have done, and what kind of power you are making, on what dyno. the more evidence we have to support the weight change requests, the better (or so I'm led to believe).
    Last edited by Chip42; 08-31-2010 at 11:43 PM.