Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Split Starts & Stewards...

Note to self: don't park behind Dave in impound at the MARRS race this weekend...

Being a current mid-pack ITB car at Summit, I like the split-starts for ITS/ITB. When we didn't have them (and this also can be an issue during qualifying- but I can fix that), several ITS cars wound up back with us and it can get annoying. We still had an issue with an SSC car last year, but I guess it will always be something. At least with the SSC car, I theoretically have a fighting chance.

I have little issue with someone who is actually in a fight getting it the middle of my battle. My episode at MidOhio shows that I'll try to play nice and think my way through when I can (though perhaps those results are not preferred), and I'd like to get the same respect in return, no matter what start is used. This is much more an issue of education and communication than one of legislation. T'would be nice if we could get the Stewards to participate in that communication when necessary.

Hoping for a great weekend...
    Matt Green

ITAC Member- 2012-??
    Tire Shaver at TreadZone- www.treadzone.com
    #96 Dodge Shelby Charger ITB- Mine, mine, all mine!
    I was around when they actually improved Improved Touring! (and now I'm trying not to mess it up!)

Quote Originally Posted by RSTPerformance View Post
    I have been spoken to for speaking up as I am a steward and I am suposed to know better than start drama... Not sure I agree but I can say most of the stewards will not support a slower car complaining about a faster car ....

Raymond "thanks for the feedback!" Blethen
    I think that when you have your drivers hat on, all bets are off, you are a driver, and you have every right to complain about bad driving! heck, how many Stewards actually drive? (Or have driven in the recent past?) Dave Faita is one, but I'd bet you two are in the minority. Last I checked, we show up to race....so the DRIVERS voice should be kinda important.

Second, it's not just about fast class vs slow class, it's about respecting the other guys space, AND race. I'll tell you, I give you credit, I'd be ripped if I had some of the stuff I've seen pulled on me.

Yea, I hear you, "the rules say..." but there's more to it than the rules, there's professional courtesy. I've watched some pretty hack stuff that had no courtesy. (And I'm talking about as a disinterested spectator, NOT as a driver, as I'm rather biased there)

To faster class drivers that get caught by slower class cars, I say this: If you're running in 7th or whatever, and the 1st or 3rd place (situational awareness means you should have some an idea where these guys are in the running order), slower class cars come up on you, think, ..."they caught me, they are faster....I should ease off down the straight to get them in front of me in the areas where they can build a gap." If you then get caught by the 8th place car in your class, don't fret...you gapped him before, you'll gap him again.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    I think that when you have your drivers hat on, all bets are off, you are a driver, and you have every right to complain about bad driving! heck, how many Stewards actually drive? (Or have driven in the recent past?) Dave Faita is one, but I'd bet you two are in the minority. Last I checked, we show up to race....so the DRIVERS voice should be kinda important. ...
    The last NEDIV stewards list I have is from early 2009, so this isn't exactly current, but of 86 stewards at that time, I counted 21 who I know are active drivers or who were within the last 3 years. There may be others of whom I am unaware. I can't say if NEDIV is typical in this regard.

Dave

Matt, for the Labor Day race I see there's only one SSC car registered. If I'm running mid-pack, I personally don't have an issue with that car or other out of class cars racing me as long as it's clean.

For that SSC car, what should he do? Pull off to the side and let everyone go by? I believe the "let the lower classed car(s) go" is a much higher priority in the very front of the class and drops off the further back in the pack one goes. Btw, I've had plenty of time mid/back of the pack myself and can honestly say that's how I felt then. At that point I just want some cars to race with and saw it as a great learning opportunity. Oh, and fun!
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    Matt, for the Labor Day race I see there's only one SSC car registered. If I'm running mid-pack, I personally don't have an issue with that car or other out of class cars racing me as long as it's clean.

For that SSC car, what should he do? Pull off to the side and let everyone go by? I believe the "let the lower classed car(s) go" is a much higher priority in the very front of the class and drops off the further back in the pack one goes. Btw, I've had plenty of time mid/back of the pack myself and can honestly say that's how I felt then. At that point I just want some cars to race with and saw it as a great learning opportunity. Oh, and fun!
    There HAVE been times in the past where I was the only car in my class on a track I knew well, so I chose to skip qualifying and start at the back. You get to pass a lot more cars that way and work on your traffic management skills ("racecraft") at the same time. It depends on the experience and expectations of the SSC driver.
    Butch Kummer
    Former SCCA Director of Club Racing (July 2012 - Sept 2014)
    2006, 2007, 2010 SARRC GTA Champion

Apparently an item that appeared in the August Fastrack did not attract a lot of attention among the posters on this thread, but here it is for your consideration:

4. #1716 (Gregg Hangge) Group Racing Etiquette The CRB was asked to comment on whether drivers in different classes should be racing for overall position at the cost of interfering with the other drivers’ ability to race within their class. The CRB would like to remind all drivers that they should respect the other classes racing within their group and whenever possible, not interfere in their competition.

Dave

Point being, even if someone is running all by him/herself on the track, they might still be running for a CLASS POSITION. I ran a NASA race a couple years ago where I was all by myself in 5th spot, and ended up passing 3 cars - the last one by just a couple of lengths at the flag. If I'd completely phoned it in for the last half of the race, when I wasn't door-to-door with others in my class, my class finish wouldn't have been as good.

On the other hand, I ran a Regional at CMP two seasons back, where I was the only ITB car running in one race. I was just a hair faster than two HP cars that were actually racing for position. It didn't hur my feelings at all to let them by. I literally pulled over on the straight and got off the throttle, to give them enough cushion that I could get back to working on my own driving without being on top of them...

The PS to that is that they both spun - in perfect unison - ahead of me. I got a good laugh out of it but knew that at least I had nothing to do with their conflict.

K

EDIT PS - There IS NO SUCH THING as an overall position in multiclass racing, so far as I've ever seen, with the rare exception of some enduros.

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post

Not to get too specific, but that case was where he (SSC car) was the SSC leader by a LOT, and wound up somehow in between I think 8th and 9th place in ITB. Three of us ITB cars were just behind him and hoping (and trying) to get around to get to the next group, a few car lengths in front of him and pulling away slowly. He never blocked or did anything I consider bad, but it was frustrating because, for instance, when I was right behind him, I knew a botched pass attempt on him would put me back a few places. It was more of a "I really wish he'd have seen us and helped make an opportunity for us", so my "issue" with him is rather minor. As I said, I understand that that exact situation is part of multi-class racing. I'm sure I wouldn't be bitching if I'd have used him as a wedge between me and the cars behind me...

I also have no problem with someone just wanting someone to race with. That, however, is a GREAT conversation for the grid, where you can mutually agree and have fun. As I said before, this is all an issue of communication, and for that we're all responsible.

See you this weekend Dave! Perhaps I'll find some speed somewhere and be able to keep track of the tail of your car for a while...
    Matt Green

ITAC Member- 2012-??
    Tire Shaver at TreadZone- www.treadzone.com
    #96 Dodge Shelby Charger ITB- Mine, mine, all mine!
    I was around when they actually improved Improved Touring! (and now I'm trying not to mess it up!)