Thread: New guy here

Default New guy here

Hello all,

I didn't see a specific introduction forum, so forgive me if I put this in the wrong place.

Anyway, I'm a bondurant 4-day graduate, and just got my SCCA license (haven't even gotten the card in the mail yet!), and hoping to get my first run(s) in at Carolina on the Sept 18 event (incidentally my birthday, fitting!). My dad and brother have both run IT-7 at Road Atlanta and Sebring, but that'll be my first time on track since Bondurant. Obviously a little nervous and a lot excited. Brother and dad both had a bit of a rough start at Road Atlanta, so I'm hoping this work out OK for me.

Anyway, as far as non-racing, I'm an automotive engineer, working in durability testing at Mack/Volvo trucks in Greensboro, NC. I've been crazy about anything with an engine and wheels for as long as I can remember, and decided by age 10 that I wanted to be an automotive engineer. According to author Denis Jenkinson (book "The Racing Driver") an engineer who can drive is worth his weight in gold... so we'll see how that goes.
    B. Shriver
    -Carguy, aspiring racer
    IT7 #66 "Worlds Slowest RX7"
    www.threesevenresearch.com

So you're one of those guys we mechanics curse with all our breath, "Why did they put THAT THERE???" welcome to the site, and maybe i'll see you at VIR. I hope that will be my first outing with the new Pinto.

Russ
    Russ

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Myers View Post
    So you're one of those guys we mechanics curse with all our breath, "Why did they put THAT THERE???" welcome to the site, and maybe i'll see you at VIR. I hope that will be my first outing with the new Pinto.

Russ
    Almost... Since I'm in testing my job is to tell the other engineers what they did wrong... like "why did you put THAT THERE???"
    Unfortunately in corporate america, my complaints are documented, then ignored, but who's counting?

Funny story, I used to work at a test center that did quite a lot of work for the military. We once had to replace the starter on a HMMWV (Hummer), in which the starter was mounted INSIDE the frame rail. To replace the starter the engine had to be removed... to remove the engine the body of the vehicle had to be removed. All for a part that's probably less than $100... well maybe more since it was a diesel, but you know what I mean.
    B. Shriver
    -Carguy, aspiring racer
    IT7 #66 "Worlds Slowest RX7"
    www.threesevenresearch.com

Welcome!!
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

Welcome! Recent Bondurant grad too! Was just out there on my way back from Alaska in july (21st I think!)

[Anyway, I'm a bondurant 4-day graduate, and just got my SCCA license (haven't even gotten the card in the mail yet!), and hoping to get my first run(s) in at Carolina on the Sept 18 event (incidentally my birthday, fitting!).

Look me up at CMP, I will be running the tech shed. Welcome to the madness.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

Welcome co-driver ... and hopefully learning your place ... slower than me!