Thread: Golf IV in B and Beetle in C?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Golf IV in B and Beetle in C?

The other thread mentioning the Golf IV being in ITB kind of surprised me, so it got me looking at the specs. Why does the Golf IV belong in B at 2350 pounds and the New Beetle belong in C at 2760 pounds? As far as I know, they are the same car other then their external shape. Other then wheel size, their specs are the same. And can there really be a 410 pound difference in the cars?
    And one last thing, if the Golf IV is listed, how come the Jetta IV isn't? There are alot of them available now for cheap.
    Ralf
    ITB Golf GT

Someone thought the beetle could not get down to ITB weight. Remember weight is set based on a target lb/hp ratio for each class.

Someone just needs to request the jetta to be classed. However, it may end up in C if the ITAC feels it will never be able to get down to ITB weight.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

Talking with Albin, he isn't even at spec weight, so how did someone figure the IV would get there?
    Ralf
    ITB Golf GT

My MkIII is within about 40# of minimum, with a big fuel cell (aluminum box) and lots of optional tubes in the cage. Beran P's MkIII was at the minimum as I understood it.

K

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    My MkIII is within about 40# of minimum, with a big fuel cell (aluminum box) and lots of optional tubes in the cage. Beran P's MkIII was at the minimum as I understood it.

K
    Actually beran runs ballest to get UP to minimum... I saw it this weekend after tech...

Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by Ralf View Post
    Talking with Albin, he isn't even at spec weight, so how did someone figure the IV would get there?
    Someone has already made a IV and it makes minimum...

Quote Originally Posted by StephenB View Post
    How much does the driver weigh?
    And so if the IV can make weight, does the Beetle have to have a full interior in it plus ballast to make weight? 410 pounds is a lot of weight.
    Ralf
    ITB Golf GT

Ralf,

I am 100% positive about barens car being under weight since I saw that with my own eyes... that car is a near perfect build and even utilizes a carbon fiber splitter...

As far as the A4... that is hearsay from some people that I trust and that build awesome cars BUT I have not scene it nor do I know the actual weight firsthand.

Stephen

does the Beetle have to have a full interior in it plus ballast to make weight? 410 pounds is a lot of weight.
    I don't think we'll ever know, as I don't think one has been built. We went round and round about this when the car was classified. Unfortunately, there were people in positions of influence that worked off assumptions and wags.

Quote Originally Posted by StephenB View Post

Would like to know more about that car Stephen, as that's 550#+ that has to come out, w/ a 190# driver, to get to 2350#. Good luck w/ an A4 Jetta, because there's an extra 120# or so. An A3 Golf 2dr started off roughly 200# lighter than the A4 version, yet they're both at 2350# race weight.

Curb weights for 'equivalent' models (base GL)

Golf 2dr 2720# +/- 10#
    NB 2765# +/- 10#
    Jetta 4d 2840# +/- 10#

Those numbers are pretty consistent from '99 to '03, varying by a couple of lbs either way.

If someone wants to come by, you can scale the bug i'm selling. It's in the classifieds if anyone is intrested.
    Chris

Unsquishable bug on the way!!!!!

Talking with Albin, he isn't even at spec weight (but hasn't tried very hard, either), so how did someone figure the IV would get there?
    Fixed that for you. Everyone needs to understand that the HP car has gotten the bulk of his attention for the last two years. The ITB car gets enough attention to keep it running, get it to the track, and let him have fun instead of fighting it on a constant basis (like the HP car). And because of what happened at MAM last Saturday, the ITB car is getting a lot of attention right now.
    Lesley Albin
    Over The Limit Racing
    Blazen Golden Retrievers