Thought I would share this..

For years when I installed the tranny in my ITB Scirocco I was always schlepping the tranny up on a jack, of course it was always falling off; if I tied it on it was never aligned right. It generally was a real pita. 10 years later and 20 years older (it feels like) I was again schlepping it up, painfully, and I was having issues getting it aligned so the output shaft would go in the clutch. I thought why not put a strap around the tranny and hold it up on the bar across the engine bay I use to hold the engine up. That way I just need to muscle the front around to get it in.

I used a simple 1" cargo strap that has the pull through press down latch - not a ratchett type (not by plan, it was just the first one I grabbed!). I looped it around the tranny just behind the clutch housing part. I lifted the tranny enough on the jack so the top edge could rest against the flywheel.

Gosh, when I pulled on the strap (which just pulls through the press down latch) the tranny just lifted perfectly into place with no effort - I pulled with my right and guided it with my left. It almost felt as though the tranny weighed nothing.

I could not believe how easy it was. I needed to drop the tranny again and I put it back in last night the same way, with the exact same result!! it only took 3 or 4 minutes to lift the tranny up into place - easily and with no drama/cursing!! It took me 10 years of schlepping to figure this out!!

I hope this helps someone else sometime.