Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Golf IV in B and Beetle in C?

Default Golf IV in B and Beetle in C?

The other thread mentioning the Golf IV being in ITB kind of surprised me, so it got me looking at the specs. Why does the Golf IV belong in B at 2350 pounds and the New Beetle belong in C at 2760 pounds? As far as I know, they are the same car other then their external shape. Other then wheel size, their specs are the same. And can there really be a 410 pound difference in the cars?
    And one last thing, if the Golf IV is listed, how come the Jetta IV isn't? There are alot of them available now for cheap.
    Ralf
    ITB Golf GT

Someone thought the beetle could not get down to ITB weight. Remember weight is set based on a target lb/hp ratio for each class.

Someone just needs to request the jetta to be classed. However, it may end up in C if the ITAC feels it will never be able to get down to ITB weight.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

Talking with Albin, he isn't even at spec weight, so how did someone figure the IV would get there?
    Ralf
    ITB Golf GT

My MkIII is within about 40# of minimum, with a big fuel cell (aluminum box) and lots of optional tubes in the cage. Beran P's MkIII was at the minimum as I understood it.

K

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    My MkIII is within about 40# of minimum, with a big fuel cell (aluminum box) and lots of optional tubes in the cage. Beran P's MkIII was at the minimum as I understood it.

K
    Actually beran runs ballest to get UP to minimum... I saw it this weekend after tech...

Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by Ralf View Post
    Talking with Albin, he isn't even at spec weight, so how did someone figure the IV would get there?
    Someone has already made a IV and it makes minimum...

Quote Originally Posted by StephenB View Post
    How much does the driver weigh?
    And so if the IV can make weight, does the Beetle have to have a full interior in it plus ballast to make weight? 410 pounds is a lot of weight.
    Ralf
    ITB Golf GT

Ralf,

I am 100% positive about barens car being under weight since I saw that with my own eyes... that car is a near perfect build and even utilizes a carbon fiber splitter...

As far as the A4... that is hearsay from some people that I trust and that build awesome cars BUT I have not scene it nor do I know the actual weight firsthand.

Stephen

Stephen,
    I guess its a good thing then that it can make weight since that may make it a viable car to get if one needed to build another VW. My search for A2 cars here in the middle of the country for parts hasn't turned up anything good. A4 Jetta's are plentyful and a quick search on Craigslist have turned up 2 for $2500.
    Ralf
    ITB Golf GT

does the Beetle have to have a full interior in it plus ballast to make weight? 410 pounds is a lot of weight.
    I don't think we'll ever know, as I don't think one has been built. We went round and round about this when the car was classified. Unfortunately, there were people in positions of influence that worked off assumptions and wags.

It looked like a tweener when we did it and the rule of thumb at the time - informed by folks here - was that if it looked like a car couldn't make weight, or couldn't do so without a truly heroic effort, it went heavy in the lower class. There are arguments that some would prefer to race a car above its spec minimum at a lower race weight in a faster class, but would be knowingly handicapping a car right out of the gate.

Of course, all of those assumptions lived on top of the first principle that we would eventually get all cars aligned to the then-process. That may or may not stand at this point.

K

The A3 can certainly get to weight. I know that Aaron was carrying ballast in his, and likely still would have with the PS reinstalled.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

Talking with Albin, he isn't even at spec weight (but hasn't tried very hard, either), so how did someone figure the IV would get there?
    Fixed that for you. Everyone needs to understand that the HP car has gotten the bulk of his attention for the last two years. The ITB car gets enough attention to keep it running, get it to the track, and let him have fun instead of fighting it on a constant basis (like the HP car). And because of what happened at MAM last Saturday, the ITB car is getting a lot of attention right now.
    Lesley Albin
    Over The Limit Racing
    Blazen Golden Retrievers

Quote Originally Posted by StephenB View Post

Would like to know more about that car Stephen, as that's 550#+ that has to come out, w/ a 190# driver, to get to 2350#. Good luck w/ an A4 Jetta, because there's an extra 120# or so. An A3 Golf 2dr started off roughly 200# lighter than the A4 version, yet they're both at 2350# race weight.

Curb weights for 'equivalent' models (base GL)

Golf 2dr 2720# +/- 10#
    NB 2765# +/- 10#
    Jetta 4d 2840# +/- 10#

Those numbers are pretty consistent from '99 to '03, varying by a couple of lbs either way.

If someone wants to come by, you can scale the bug i'm selling. It's in the classifieds if anyone is intrested.
    Chris

Unsquishable bug on the way!!!!!

Default ITB Mk IV Jetta

I for one would like to see the MK IV Jetta added to the ITCS, and at the 2350 weight. Having built a MK III Jetta, the number one issue we worked was to get the weight out of the car. Consequently we had to put it on a "rotissorie" . We removed all of the undercoating, drilled out the welds on un-necessory brackets, removed the seam sealant, etc....2 solid weeks of hard, nasty work, but we were able to get the weight down to 2350 with less than 2 gallons and a 190 lb driver. I would like to see the MK IV Jetta at the same weight. Might be a fun project.......
    David Ellis-Brown
    Dave E-B

Kirk, the only issue with the car going into ITC is how few cars race in that class (overall, not one or two off races or regions). No fault of how it was classed. If ITC were like ITA is now, you'd see more Bettles built.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

>> ...drilled out the welds on un-necessory brackets...

You and I have had this discussion, I think, but I anticipate someone will chime in on this - so why not me?

K

EDIT for Dave - The ITAC talked about that issue, in terms of whether it would be "more attractive" as a too-light-to-achieve B car or a fat car in C. We eventually came back to the first principle that it wasn't our job to engineer - or even consider - the popularity of a class or make/model option. Cameron proposed moving (or cross-listing?) it to B and the response was based on the same logic: If ITC is a class, cars that fit there should be put there.
    Last edited by Knestis; 09-23-2010 at 03:49 PM.

David, that all sounds IT kosher except the removing of un-necessary brackets. Those are necessary to remain IT legal.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

Yet another reason we should have dual classing...

#1 reason let people (like the MR2 drivers and possible beatle drivers) choose the class they want, not some guy/gal who thinks they know what people want.

#2 reason, double dippers = more income for the regions = lower or at least stable entry fees

#3 reason, we dual class the Miata's, and thats just one reason those cars are so popular...

Raymond "I know... Being classed heavy (acording to the process) wont prevent you from winning races" Blethen
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com