Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Questions - IT VW

Quote Originally Posted by Flyinglizard View Post
    Dont bother with the stock computer. Go right to the Megasquirt and stand alone ignition. Convert the Mk3 dist to the 4 window Mk 2 wheel. Wire around the ECU to an old style box and coil.
    Absolutely ditch the factory ECU and go Megasquirt. But don't waste your time trying to modify a distributor, it's not necessary. The Mk3 ABA 2.0L has a factory 60-2 tooth trigger wheel and crank position sensor that is very MS friendly. Do ditch the MK3 coil for a Mk2 coil.
    Jeff Linfert
    Atlantic Auto Works
    We Install and Tune Megasquirt Systems
    #97 GTL Scirocco (for sale)
    ABA Corrado powered by MS3. 40+ MPG

As far as which body to use..... I'd personally do a mk3 4 door golf. The Mk2 is still a competitive car done right but they are tough to find. The Mk4 is too expensive, too heavy, parts are more expensive (especially shocks and struts) and the 02J transmission eats a lot more power than an 020 on a low power motor.
    Jeff Linfert
    Atlantic Auto Works

Default MK III VW's

We built our MK III Jetta 4 years ago..... And we knew that weight would be a problem, so getting the weight down was job 1. We come off the track with the weight at 2370 on average, depending on the fuel in the tank...After we got the weight out, we worked on the ECM, Had GIAC burn us custom chips, made good HP/Torque, but could never get the A/F ratio down to 13.1.... was usually in the 11.5-12.0 range, way rich but quick..... Colin from Techtonics also burned us custom chips burned, , still could not control the A/F ratio..... It was not until we installed a MegaSquirt, by Atlantic Auto Works in Melbourne Fla, that we were able to get the A/F ratio to 13.1, and it is adjustable, made more HP and Torque, use a NewSouth Peformance Intake manifold gasket and reduced the intake manifold temp by nearly 40 degrees, Nice part........ We also used a the 4.25 final drive and were happy with the performance, But again Atlantic Autoworks convinced me to go to a 3.9 FD, because like so many have said, the stock cam will not pull over 6200, and if it does, the cam is not stock. We shift at 6000, because our dyno sheets showed how quickly the power dropped off over 6200, but the engine makes great torque, it pulls the 3.9 easily....so at places like Daytona the 3.9 is just the better gear, and I suspect will work better at the Sebring 12 hour course. Spring wise we run 650's in the front and 750's in the rear, and massive multi rear bars, none in front.
    Also keep the stock cross dash bar......There is another MK III Jetta in CFR. Mike Ogren has a good shell. We bought a complete spare 96 Jetta for $300. and it had almost no rust, VW built twice as many Jettas than it did Golfs. It you are in the SE, Get with David Boles or Jeff Linfert at Atlantic Auto Works, they are the go to Guys on VW's in my estimation...... David Ellis-Brown
    Dave E-B

FWIW, we've come to the same conclusion re: engine powerbands and final drive ratios. Drive it like a truck and be VERY happy when you're rolling toward the green with the engine at 3000 rpm.

Please don't let Cameron see more good news about Megasquirt. He *really* wants to spend more of my money.

K

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    FWIW, we've come to the same conclusion re: engine powerbands and final drive ratios. Drive it like a truck and be VERY happy when you're rolling toward the green with the engine at 3000 rpm.

Please don't let Cameron see more good news about Megasquirt. He *really* wants to spend more of my money.

K
    Naw, I'm good with the stock ECU, It behaves nicely if you treat it right. I can get the fuel anywhere I want it and it makes a nice pretty straight line. I think doing a standalone on these cars is spending money that should be used for other development, driver development maybe.

Oh, right - change your tune NOW.

K

Quote Originally Posted by knestis View Post
    oh, right - change your tune now.

k

You were able to control the A/F ratio in the stock ECM with the custom chip?..... If it is not too nosey, what A/F ratio were you able to acheive?..... David E-B
    Dave E-B

We found gains over a well setup ecu/chip setup on a friends A3 car as well.

I have heard that some had resorted to alternate injector sizes to get the AFR where it ought to be, but the ecu is a legal way to get there, with more control over the entire map/rpm range.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

No alternate injectors or any other illegal Bologna. Here's the thing, most people are not embracing the closed loop functionality of the stock ECU. You just have to instruct it as to what results you want.

We tried all sorts of things, early on we tried different injectors, but settled on the stock 18 lb. With the Megasquirt, we use the stock injectors and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator... Jeff at AAW developed the right map for the system and we increased both the HP and Torque numbers all the way across the power band. We run a stock unmodified dfistributor...... David Ellis-Brown
    Dave E-B

Quote Originally Posted by D. Ellis-Brown View Post
    We tried all sorts of things, early on we tried different injectors, but settled on the stock 18 lb. With the Megasquirt, we use the stock injectors and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator... Jeff at AAW developed the right map for the system and we increased both the HP and Torque numbers all the way across the power band. We run a stock unmodified dfistributor...... David Ellis-Brown
    Are you coming to the ARRC? You can dispell the myth that FL people never show up to the ARRC!!

I actually tend to shy away from closed loop when racing. Just don't like the thought of a single sensor failure whacking out the AFR. Tune the map on a dyno and leave it there for the track is my choice.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

Quote Originally Posted by Conover View Post
    Are you coming to the ARRC? You can dispell the myth that FL people never show up to the ARRC!!
    What about the current ITB champ Duece Keane? He's from FL.
    Jeff Linfert
    Atlantic Auto Works

It wouldn't be a myth if it were true.

No, we had a serious crash in May at Daytona, and had some major work to do before we will be competing again..... I was gone most of the summer....The car is almost finished, but it will have to be sorted out before we race again..... I suspect that the earliest will now will be next year, Maybe at the double Nationals at Sebring in STU, whatever. I would more likely go the SARRC route first..... Deuce represents Central Florida very well, and we get our chances to compete against him and stay in CFR, so what is the point..... But I'm sure we could be reasonably competitive if we did go..... Thanks, David Ellis-Brown

BTW, Knestis turned a 48.4 and finished on the podium at the ARRC at Road Atlanta with the stock chippped factory ECU. I think the factory computer is pretty darn competitive.

Nice job by Kirk. That is a daunting track on the first visit.

I don't disagree that a stock system can be made to perform equally, but it is way easier to implement a user programable system, and you also get the benefit of being able to change settings based on track/weather conditions (which may be desireable if you are planning to run on the hairy edge for engine power vs. safety.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

Thanks, Chris, but to be fair this wasn't really a "first visit" for me. I ran a SARRC/ECR weekend in '08, with an eye toward coming to the ARRC that year, and got some really awesome coaching from Bowie G. Greg Amy and I were entered in the enduro at last year's ARRC but I only got a handful of green laps - like three - before I busted Pablo.

The mistake I did make this year was not being aggressive - or committed - enough to have Cameron put our new spool-equipped gearbox in before this past weekend. It *would* have made a difference, as the Quaiffe was spinning away power even if I stayed off the curbs. Not remembering Atl well left me not as worried about that as I should have been. The decision to run the 3.94 final drive WAS a big success though.

K

Hopefully I can be out there with you next year. It looks like I missed a good one this year.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd