Thread: New guy here with an ITA 240SX (project)...

Default New guy here with an ITA 240SX (project)...

Hey guys...new here, but my project isn't. It was sold off these forums back in 2007, but I bought it from the guy who owned it for the last ~3 years.

My background: I've owned a 1996 240SX for 13 years, and it's been my primary "fun car" - HPDE's and some autocross. I do all my own work...and this car has gone through several iterations...but it's currently powered by a stock motor with a T3/T4 turbo setup (325rwhp at ~12psi). Upgraded suspension, wheels/tires, 4-point roll cage, Z32 brakes, etc...round it out.

In the last 10 years or so, I've bought/fixed up/sold another eight 240SX's to fund my hobby.

Most recent project car is the ITA 240SX I alluded to above. It was built and raced by "BB Racing" for a couple years...sold in 2007 to a local Porsche race shop...and finally wound up in my garage earlier this year.

I bought it to resurrect it, and possibly get into IT racing.

I've documented my progress so far on another forum, but here's the condensed version - - - - - - >

Here's a pic of the car as it sat when I bought it:

It's currently got a stock SOHC under the hood.

The good: Koni Yellows with Ground Control sleeves, 225/45-15 Hoosier R6's on 15x7 Team Dynamic wheels (2 sets), Nismo 2-way diff with 4.6 gears, Momo seat, window net, arm net, JWT ECU, Injen intake, no muffler (first thing I'll fix!). Has a fuel cell that they added. Griffin radiator.

Has a spare .40-over motor (in pieces), spare trans, and a tons of other misc. bits (wiring harness, stock ECU, engine accessories, etc...).

The bad: It's a used racecar, with a little evidence of rust (rear rockers, under the hood, stuff like that)...BUT it's old rust, it's been prepped/painted since...so it's more like "sheetmetal with pinholes" in the questionable spots.

Needs a ton of little TLC to make it nice...but that part I'm looking forward to.

UPDATE #1: Dragging it home...

Right now...it's not up to par. The headgasket is DONE.

I thought it was a little 'off' when I looked at it the first time, but the team manager said the compression/leakdown was good. Not the case today.

No huge deal, I still bought it...

I'll fix the motor that's in it...its just a HG. Bang around in it for a short while, sort it out...then drop in the "built" motor when I get it assembled.

Anyway, pics:

Leaving the shop:

It's new home:

Spares (some of it):
    '96 240SX - Turbo'd KA24DE - Street/track/fun car...
    '90 240SX - ITA racecar -

UPDATE #2: Fixing the motor...

Head is off and straightened, but I'm going to do a couple things before it goes back on:

- Add the IACV back to the intake manifold (still bolted to head, no reason to remove it)

- Tap the intake manifold for the Autometer coolant temp sensor

It was clear where the headgasket was bad...it must have been going for some time:

I hope to have it back together and running on Sunday...then I can focus on fixing all the other little shit.

UPDATE #3: Got it running, took it to the track for testing...

...and the car did "OK". (Track is Gainesville Raceway's roadcourse...it's roughl a mile, and quick cars run under 60-second lap times)

It ran well, but the drivers side front wheel bearing took a sh!t around lap #5 in the FIRST session of the day. Must have been bad already, but I haven't had it up to speed/temp like that. Luckily, a local guy had one in his garage (thanks Tom!)...so within an hour, I had a usable one on there, and was back on track.

Motor felt OK, but makes no top-end power. I have to wonder if the tiny piping after the header collector is choking it out. Max speed on the longest straight was only 72mph...that's a good 20mph slower than my S14. So that's something to address.

A couple pics:

Coolant and oil temps stayed below 200F, and this track doesn't allow much time for cooling off, so that was good.

Anyway...with the car making proper power, 59's should be achievable.

UPDATE #4: Fixing the wheel bearings...upgrading the header:

For repacking the wheel bearings, I went with the Redline CV-2 (from Summit)...reasons being 1) cost, and 2) proven with racers. Mainly cost.

I also ordered a new flex section for the exhaust...I think the header is WAY too restrictive.

See here:

1.5" primaries, shitty collector, and necks down to 1-7/8" ID at the flex...bumps up to 2.5" OD after, same as the rest of the exhaust.

So I think it needs to be 2.25" or so at the collector exit, with a better transition to 2.5".

I cut off the shitty flex, trimmed the current collector a little, and opened it up:

I'll add the new 2.5" flex section after that...but it will merge smoothly this time around.

Maybe it will make power above 5500...I hope it will. KA motors typically like to really breathe on the exhaust side of things, and this should eliminate the last restriction.

Here's what I did: Marked the new flex tubing around it's circumference in 6 evenly spaced places, 3/16" wide each.

It worked out great...I had to remove 1-1/8" of material..or 18/16". 6 cuts of 3/16" each...perfect.

Bent the pieces inward, to make a cone...

Inside view:

And finally...a nice venturi, just over 2" ID at the smallest point:

(Yeah, the welds look like shit...I had to set the heat too low to not burn through...stupid flux-core!)

UPDATE #5: Fixing the cam timing...

Found the timing chain off one tooth - No wonder it didn't make power above ~5500.

Next track day is soon, I hope to have it perform better this time around...

UPDATE #6: Rod knock.

I led the "parade laps" at GIR today, and that let the car warm up.

As soon as I could after pulling everyone back in the pits, I donned my helmet and headed out, eager to run faster than 59's...

Car ran a couple 1:04's IIRC, and just didn't seem quick. Slower than before, even...and that was when the cam timing was off. Laps times were dropping off, and the oil and coolant temps were headed UP. Soon it developed a tick, then a full blown KNOCK.

So the "freshened up junkyard motor" that came in the car...is now dead.

Yee Haw.

For the questions that might arise: I was running M1 10w40 "high mileage", and it was fresh as of the night before. Overfilled by a half quart. Never over-revved.

I think it was a dying motor from day one, and the time spent making it run OK was wasted...I should have started fresh. I have the overbored (90mm) block ready to go, with a fresh head...but I need piston rings.

UPDATE #7: Fixing the ole' SOHC KA...

So I pulled the motor this afternoon...#2 rod bearing is the dead one, and the oil pan was full of crap (???).

Silicone / gasket material, bearing 'shavings', and what looks to be rocks...????!?!?!??? Dunno exactly what it is - But it's small, round-ish, and hard...like a pebble. Most likely timing chain guide material.

Pics:

Work area - My S14 is living elsewhere for the time being, so that my wife can still park on one side of the garage -->

This is the debris...some is obvious as to what it is, the round things...are the "mystery rocks". For reference, the largest piece shown is probably just under 1/4" diameter.

After I hosed the pan down with carb cleaner, to wash it out a little...the bearing material showed itself:

Next step: Rebuild.

UPDATE #8:

I've done a ton, but to be honest...I'm tired from working outside most days this week, then coming home and working on this motor...all in 98F weather. Add in a rear-ender accident in my truck, and I'm spent.

That said, I've: Welded a bung onto the oil pan for the oil temp sender - It was part of the filter assembly, drilled/tapped into the top...but it was just after the oil cooler. I wanted the average temp of oil in the motor, so to the sump goes the temp sender.

For the motor, I decided to fix the one that came out of the car. To that end I picked up a decent KA that had been sitting in a yard (with a known-good OEM crank):

...grabbed the crank out of that motor, picked up a set of new rod and main bearings (STD size), and tore down the KA24E that I pulled out of the racecar. Here's a shot with the new main bearings in place:

I have the crank installed, and the rods (with new bearings) torqued...just need to reinstall the accessories and such, then button it up.

Before I started all that work...I spent some time cleaning my injectors.

What I found: The #2 injector was stuck wide open. #3 was dead...or at least corroded enough that it wouldn't cycle until I cleaned the hell out of the terminals. I suspect it was intermittent, and the #2 was wide open...I'm sure that had some effect on the power output being so low. #1 checked out OK, #4 was pretty much wide open as well.

The fix: All new injectors.

UPDATE #9: It's running again...and I'm testing sensors...

I've been out of town since Sunday, but before I left, I did some testing:

ECU shows no codes.
    TPS tests fine.
    MAF tests OK.

O2 could be bad, but it has no effect on WOT power.

UPDATE #10: IT'S FIXED! IT HAULS ASS! (well, compared to a stock Miata)

FINALLY!

Combo of new injectors...many, many cleaned up sensor plugs...and properly set base timing...and it runs GREAT.

Oil pressure is good, and it drives SO much better.

- Brian

UPDATE #11: Holy crap, it survived an event...! And ran great...!

Drove really well, actually...except the tires (Hoosier R6) are falling off. They are heat cycled, and they are not as sticky as they could be...that's for sure.

Here's a few pics:

I drove my S14, and my wife graciously agreed to drive the truck/pull the racecar to the track:

S13 and a friends 'Spec Miata' in the making:

Haulin' ass through the skidpad:

And then it rained. A lot.

But it stopped, and we got back on track.

I thought this pic was cool...waiting to go back out:

Welcome to IT!! Looks like you know what you're doing, so I hope you stick around despite the headaches. We have great, competitive racing in IT down here in the SE, and it really lets you test yourself against competent racers on a level playing field. It's not always easy, but IMHO the thrill of W2W racing is more than worth it. Good luck with your ITA project, and hopefully we'll see you out at the track soon. The more Nissans the merrier!
    Chris Carey

Central Florida Region
    ITS/Vintage Datsun 240Z

Favorite tool to remove undercoating---- A curb!

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."

So as of today (8/15)...that's the latest.

I'm now trying to decide what to do with the car...I had plans of IT racing with it, but the reality is: I have less storage space than I thought (2 cars, a trailer, tons of spares, etc...) equals angry wifey.

I've lurked on these forums for a while, but decided to join finally.

Interested to know what you guys think of the work I've done, and the car overall.

Curious also if anyone here remembers this car, or has raced against it. It looks the same as it did back in 2005-2006, from what I can tell.

Anyway, I hope to be around and active on the forums...maybe I'll see you guys at the track someday.

- Brian

Quote Originally Posted by spawpoet View Post
    Welcome to IT!! Looks like you know what you're doing, so I hope you stick around despite the headaches.
    Thanks...and I plan stick with it. I think.

I do have a baby on the way (my first)...so we'll see how much that complicates things.

- Brian

Quote Originally Posted by orion View Post

I do have a baby on the way (my first)...so we'll see how much that complicates things.

- Brian

Congrats!! I'm in the same boat, and having just finished my 2 schools, I'm trying to get my two races for my license in before the due date. I figure I need to take at least a half year off once there's a little one to take care of. That said, it shouldn't be a complete deal breaker on road racing.

I did autocross and track days for years, but IMHO after finally taking the plunge they just don't compare when it comes to the fun factor.
    Chris Carey

Central Florida Region
    ITS/Vintage Datsun 240Z

Favorite tool to remove undercoating---- A curb!

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."

I've run against the car up in the Northeast and can vouch it is FAST!! Those truck engines put out a ton of torque especially compared to the other ITA cars.
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Quote Originally Posted by spawpoet View Post
    Congrats!! I'm in the same boat, and having just finished my 2 schools, I'm trying to get my two races for my license in before the due date. I figure I need to take at least a half year off once there's a little one to take care of. That said, it shouldn't be a complete deal breaker on road racing.
    Agreed...and congrats to you as well!

Quote Originally Posted by JLawton View Post
    I've run against the car up in the Northeast and can vouch it is FAST!! Those truck engines put out a ton of torque especially compared to the other ITA cars.
    I know that with the built motor, it *was* fast...I think that it's down probably ~15rwhp as it sits (with a stock motor).

...but it's cool to see there are some people on here that have seen the car in it's former glory!

- Brian