Thread: Letting off Steam

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

[QUOTE=gran racing;309763]
    No matter where the start occurs even if it were on a wide open huge air port, it's up to the drivers to make it happen safely. IMO though, the long pro starting location gives drivers the best opportunity for a safe start.
    QUOTE]

Well, it may just be a matter of opinion. I think it's harder for guys to watch all the close quarters action normally associated with starts, plus negotiate a LONG section of track as tricky and blind as T7 to the Carousel. This is Mid Ohio here, one of the most difficult tracks to race, let alone drive...

IN my three years of racing at 5 different tracks, I never saw anything like what happened on the opening laps this weekend. Maybe it was just rotten luck on my part, but I'd doubt it.

BTW, I'm not mad at Todd.
    Chris
    #91 ITR Mustang
    1st place-2008 Great Lakes Division Championship Series
    1st place-2009 Kryderacing Series

BTW, I'm not mad at Todd.
    Good to know.

Thanks for the input from everyone. After three straight years of starts on the pit straight I thought it was time to mix things up a little. Sorry race group 2 had such a rough weekend.

As far as next year I'm not even sure of a date at this time as the pro schedule at Mid Ohio is in an uproar with IRL wanting to change dates. I won't know much until the end of Sept.

Todd
    Last edited by lateapex911; 08-15-2010 at 01:35 AM.

Todd, even though I wasn't there, I'll weigh in, on the start aspect. There is NO reason the pro start stand shouldn't be used. To those who think the sky fell, and it's because of the location, IMO, you're wrong. The IT guys have proven they are perfectly capable of screwing up on the pit straight as well~
    I know, I've jumped the curb to the put lane to avoid contact when I had a 75% overlap, yet the outside driver failed to see me, I assume... And it's just as likely that it could have happened on the other straight. And that's just one of the starts that was screwed up...of many I witnessed.

The pro straight gives the room to have an orderly line up, and gives the starter more options to allow for that line up to occur. On the pit straight, it was basically "If we have 6 or so rows that's all we can hope for, GREEN GREEN GREEN"....
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com