Thread: STL Class No Type R or S2000

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I guess the point is there is no place for a S2000 and why take out the type R engine is a mystery to me. If someone has data, throw a 100 pounds at it, fine, but why ban them?

As it is, the rules outlaw the S2000, and make type r owners either change to a RS intake and head or change to a 06 civic si 2 liter. It can't be for cost because you can buy a JDM type r motor and a transmission for $3700 that would be 11 to a and meet all rules. Its cheaper to buy a JDM type r motor than build one. Just check ebay. Anybody who runs Honda's knows cost is not a reason to forbid the type r and ban the S2000. In fact it looks like SCCA has banned the cheapest most potentially popular Honda engine and also only rear drive Honda car from STL. Why?

Meanwhile, what about the potential of the bmw 318i motor or the Mazda MX5 ? Where is the data. the 318i has the same size valves and the MX5 has bigger valves, but why aren't these cars banned too? Does the CRB have data that says a type R motor built to the rules is really so much better better than a these motors to justify banning them? Sure a s2000 and type r are both more specific hp at stock but at stock they rev higher and have near 11 to one compression. But in other words these engines are already near the limit of the rules whereas the BMW and Mazda are not. Where is the data showing that when the BMW and Mazda gets bumped to 11 to one they are worse than a type r or s2000? In other words, why were the R and S2000 honda motors banned from STL when BMW's and Mazda's MX5 equivalent motors were not?
    Last edited by Bob Roth; 07-23-2010 at 12:58 AM.