Thread: STL Class No Type R or S2000

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Maybe PD Cunningham had more than a little to do with the competitiveness of the type r than all the Honda goodness. Remember, he also won a race in a nissan sentra (are we banning them too?) The fact that the R was competitive in 2001 does not mean beans today.

I suppose there are those that are saying that that type R is too much engine. But is this a fact? Where has anybody shown that the 318 motor or MX5 motor not capable of being equal when built to the rules? I see people using the specific HP arguement in IT but there you can't change pistons, compression et al. Here you can. Meanwhile, I can put a 197 hp civic Si motor in the car at higher weight, but not run type r motor? It seems like its specifically, honda go home, especially you pesky honda challenge cars which would be ready made for this class.

Finally, I have to say, if I were to guess, I think a fwd honda would be fun, but not a lot of hope vs a rear drive Miata or BMW. FWD may be the cats meow for ITA, bit while watching miata's railing through turns that my type r would plow/scrub through, methinks the uber chassis for these classes will be rear drive. All the more reasons to let the type r in.

When you look on ebay you will find it easy to get type r parts. Its the most obvious build for any honda fwd owner if price and resale value matters. Why forbid the type r until someone has proven that the car is unfairly fast? The bummer to me is that I could strip my type r and it would be ready for the class, except that SCCA excludes it from the class.

This decision to ban them mistifies me when they could have just as easily thrown some weight if there was a problem. If SCCA wants entrants, especially all the Nasa Honda Challenge cars they are welcoming into WC touring, they are sure doing it in a odd way.

My point is, if this is based on data then share it. If that's not the reason, what is.
    Last edited by Bob Roth; 07-23-2010 at 08:32 PM.