Thread: Dual side nets?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Dual side nets?

I'm getting ready to purchase a side net and I've noticed some Continental Challenge cars use dual side nets. I can't find a regulation that requires this, but it does seem logical to protect the driver's head from both sides. Is anyone using this type of setup?

Here are some pictures of the setup:
    http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...ound1-daytona/
    (scroll to page 6 and look at the photos on row 4.)
    David Russell
    IT Volvo 242

If you are talking about the "right side net," we've got one in my Golf.

Talking with some folks I trust, the argument is that - particularly with the halo seat - if the driver stretches out in an impact, the net guides his/her noggin back INSIDE rather than OUTSIDE of the head restraints. We worked hard to get the angle correct (it seemed easy to mount it higher than it should be if one just guessed), and to make the mounting stout enough for the net to pull tight. They actually have a ratchet tensioner. We used a seatbelt mounting eye in the firewall, behind the dash.

K

EDIT - it's not clear in the pic but the net is TIGHT against the seat halo.

Kirk,

My question isn't about running a right side driver's net or not, but a right and left side driver's net. I plan on running at least the right side net and possibly a left side net too. Safety Solutions has a RaceTech Viper seat specific side net that I'm purchasing as I have the RaceTech Viper seat.

The forward mounting point for my driver's side net will be on the knee bar, which isn't a member used in Kirk's cage. So no need for the seatbelt eyelet in the firewall.
    David Russell
    IT Volvo 242

Just got off of the phone with Safety Solutions. The dual side nets are mandatory in Grand-Am and have been for the past 2 years. Safety Solutions has been using the dual side nets in Nextel Cup for some time (I think he said @ 2002). So with that in mind I just ordered both a right and left side driver's net for my Volvo.
    Last edited by rsportvolvo; 07-09-2010 at 02:38 PM. Reason: grammar
    David Russell
    IT Volvo 242

I've heard of them, except that my windows net already wraps around my seat. So in effect you get two nets to take down to get out, where I only have one.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Quote Originally Posted by Z3_GoCar View Post
    I've heard of them, except that my windows net already wraps around my seat. So in effect you get two nets to take down to get out, where I only have one.
    Ah - got it. Ditto the above for me. My "regular" window net is right up against my seat halo, too. It's not as tight as the right-side net. I don't recall ever seeing an installation with TWO left-side nets...?

K